DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   M camera with 18-55mm STM (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/518598-m-camera-18-55mm-stm.html)

Alex Anderson August 29th, 2013 11:03 AM

M camera with 18-55mm STM

Does anyone have the Canon EF M 18-55mm lens on the M camera? How do you like it or what is wrong? I have the kit 22mm lens and I am thinking of buying the 18-55mm to go along with the system. Also, is it worth buying the Canon EW-54 lens hood for this new lens? It sells for $15. I found the lens new for $150.

Alex

Mark Rosenzweig August 29th, 2013 12:17 PM

Re: M camera with 18-55mm STM

Yes, it's great. It is one of two lenses that Canon says you can zoom with while shooting without the aperture changing even if you are stopped down (the other is the EF S 18-135mm IS STM). I have shot videos with it in bright light and have not seen any evidence of lens flare or anything that would make me want a shade. Because it has IS, it is better for video handheld than the 22mm

Here is one example that actually uses both the 18-55mm and the 22mm:

This video was shot RAW using the 18-55mm lens:

Alex Anderson August 29th, 2013 12:52 PM

Mark,
Thank you for the reply and posting the videos. The footage looks very nice. I will be mostly shooting video so the handheld IS was something I was interested in. The lens goes from f3.5 to 5.6 so it must have some aperture change throughout the zoom range.

Craig W. Scribner August 29th, 2013 01:30 PM

Imaging Resource recently reviewed the EOS M, including a separate review of the 18-55mm STM lens.

Mark Rosenzweig August 29th, 2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Anderson (Post 1810441)
Mark,
Thank you for the reply and posting the videos. The footage looks very nice. I will be mostly shooting video so the handheld IS was something I was interested in. The lens goes from f3.5 to 5.6 so it must have some aperture change throughout the zoom range.

What you say is correct, but the problem extends beyond that - even at the narrowest aperture (say, f5.6), there will be a change in exposure for many Canon lenses. This zoom, according to the Canon manual is an exception to that.

Alex Anderson August 29th, 2013 07:19 PM

That would be nice. Are we talking about it being f3.5 the whole range of zoom?I just ordered the lens along with a 52mm Variable ND filter.

Jason Garrett August 30th, 2013 08:15 AM

Mark’s videos are amazing with the M. I would only add that the image stabilization with the 18-55mm to me seems virtually essential for handheld video. It works pretty well at that. I tried it out with a pistol grip mounted on my M last weekend to shoot some video of a Freedom March Anniversary Rally locally and it doesn’t rank with my dedicated camcorder’s image stabilization though. I’m sure this isn’t news to anyone who has shot video with a DSLR.

Alex Anderson August 30th, 2013 11:30 AM

I got my new 18-55 for the M today. It does have a big drop in light going from wide at 3.5 to full zoomed in at 5.6.

Is there a way to shut off the IS on this lens? I thought that when you use a tripod it is better to shut off IS because the tripod is then providing the stabilization and that the iS would keep working against it??

alex

Alex Anderson August 31st, 2013 02:08 PM

Never mind. I found it

Alex

Alex Anderson September 3rd, 2013 05:26 PM

If I buy the ew-54 lens hood for my efm 18-55mm lens, can i use a 52mm variable nd filter at the same time? Does the filter go on forst and then the lens hood or does the filter screw on last inside the lens hood? I was looking at the getting the AGFA Variable Range Neutral Density (ND) Filter 52mm APVND52. Or, the UltraPro 52mm Variable NDX Fader Filter ND2 - ND1000. I can't do $99 now for a Tiffen 52mm ND.

And, will I get vignetting using the hood "and" the variable ND when using the lens wide at 18mm? If ,so, what is the fix besides not shooting that wide? Maybe not using the hood?

Alex