70D Issue? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Major Player

70D Issue?

Luckily the first thing I shot with the 70D was a lightning storm, so it was long exposures & mostly black/dark photos.
The hot pixels (red) showed up in every photo from 1/60 sec on down to 30 sec.
The strange anomaly which the tech person at Canon said she'd never seen before, only showed up at 2 sec & slower.

These are actual size so you can see what it looks like, I just sharpened them a bit to give them better definition. They do not show up on video.

I do a lot of time lapse with stills, including evening & night, so the thought of having to clone out thousands of dots is unacceptable, let alone that I don't want this in a new camera.

Other than that, I've been very happy with it so far. Going to try some shots of birds in flight to test the focus tracking.
Attached Images

Old September 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 70D Issue?

How is the continuous autofocus for video on the 70D? I was almost set to go for a GH3 kit but it's a bit much (over $2.200 Cdn) and the 70D looks attractive..even if it doesn't have a headphone jack but only if the continuous autofocus is really superior to the GH3...also, would this autofocus work with Tamron lenses?
E
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Trustee

I don't think the autofocus works with non-canon lenses at all, but haven't tried it. I suppose if the camera focusing works with your lens, the autofocus on the 70D will, but it's only a guess.

We shot a wedding using one as a 4th camera, but haven't taken a hard look at the footage, yet. So far, it looks like a nice bump up from our old T3is, but can't compare, really, to our 5d Mark iis. It is a very convenient camera, though, except for getting to the darn white balance ("Q" menu, then over... Grrr...)
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: 70D continuous autofocus vs Panny GH3

I was almost ready to get the 70D to replace a couple of T3is but I'm not sure I'll be getting a significant bump in pic quality...I use my Canon XF300 and XF100 a lot but for interviews I like the look of the T3is. I record sound to a Tascam recorder. I like the continuous autofocus samples I have seen on some websites- I really wish it had a headphone jack...I should bring my non canon lens and test the autofocus for sure but now that I have done some research I can see why the Panny GH3 has so many fans...it sure has lots of good specs and the pic quality is better...I don't feel so confident about the autofocus system...argh...
and its pricey!
do you have any experience with both cameras? how does the 70D footage from the wedding looks? The focus was solid..?
thanks!
Erick
Old September 12th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Major Player

You either have a dead pixel on your camera or dust on your chip, you need to talk to another Canon services person, I don't know if 70D has a "manual clean" feature, read your manual, if it does, do it, it will mask the dead pixel, but for a brand new camera, I would return it and get another one.
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
I don't think the autofocus works with non-canon lenses at all, but haven't tried it. I suppose if the camera focusing works with your lens, the autofocus on the 70D will, but it's only a guess.
There are several test videos up with the 70D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. It seems to work just fine though not very quiet. I have a 70D on the way but don't own any AF glass other than Canon. I am looking forward to seeing what it can do with the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II though.

Bob
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Major Player

This review is kinda interesting because they put a go-pro on the top of the 70d so you can watch the auto focus in action.

Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It does seem to autofocus quite well with the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L II, but an external microphone mounted in the hot shoe picks up the focusing noise. I don't have any STM lenses, but I have tried the 500mm F4 IS L, which makes the most noise in focusing, and the 24-105mm F4 IS L which is much more quiet than the 500mm. The 70-200mm seems to be even quieter than the 24-105mm.
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

problem with 70D and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC

Well..I got a 70D today at Best Buy and I decided to try it with my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC which I have been using with my T3i for a couple of years...
I was only able to record video for 10 secs or so before the following message comes up on the LCD:

"!
Ensure a lens is attached.
Press STARTSTOP button to activate movie shooting"

I tried it several times and the message appears on the screen after a few seconds.

I decided to change the lens and use a Canon 50mm f1.8 and I was able to record video without any problems....

does this mean Tamron is not compatible with the Canon 70D?
the only reason I want the 70D is because of its continuous AF and that works with the Tamron...until recording stops and I get the warning message...

Anyone heard of a similar problem? The lens kit that comes with the 70D is f 3.5 to 5.6 and that is useless for video shot inside...

I would be disappointed if I have to return the 70D if I must purchase a ultra expensive genuine Canon lens..
help!!
thanks for listening
Erick
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

There are several posts across the web discussing the 70D not working with Tamron lenses in video AF. I would think Tamron will need to figure this out quickly. It could hurt their lens sales.

Bob
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thank you Bob. I tried searching for Tamron lens and Canon 70D in video autofocus before buying the 70D but didn't find anything..
well..that's the way it is and I don't see how Tamron could do anything about it..they will tell me to buy their newer lens!
an option for me would be to buy the Canon 17-50mm f2.8 at around $900 but that drives the kit too high I think. Maybe too close to the price of a GH3 with the 12-35 X Zoom..
the main reason I like the 70D is the video autofocus- and I was willing to ignore the lack of a headphone jack etc but if I have to buy new lens...
thanks for the help and support!
E
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Major Player

Hey Bob do you have a link of other people having problem with the tamron lens? Thanks.
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Seems to work with a Sigma 150-500.
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Hey Bob do you have a link of other people having problem with the tamron lens? Thanks.
I don't know if I could find the links. Pretty sure at least one was on YouTube. I did a lot of research before deciding to order one. I remember two separate reports that the 70D did not play nice with Tamron lenses. I just half skimmed over them because I pretty much stick with Canon glass these days.

Bob
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard Hill View Post
It does seem to autofocus quite well with the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L II, but an external microphone mounted in the hot shoe picks up the focusing noise. I don't have any STM lenses, but I have tried the 500mm F4 IS L, which makes the most noise in focusing, and the 24-105mm F4 IS L which is much more quiet than the 500mm. The 70-200mm seems to be even quieter than the 24-105mm.
Good to know. I don't see myself recording audio when shooting with the 70-200. Have you tried shooting the 70-200 with a 1.4x TC?

Bob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD