DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   70D message - "movie recording has been stopped automatica​lly" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/519149-70d-message-movie-recording-has-been-stopped-automatica-lly.html)

Bob Ohlemann September 25th, 2013 08:56 AM

70D message - "movie recording has been stopped automatica​lly"

I am using a PNY 32GB class 10 SDHC rated at 30MB/s. I was recording 1920x1080 at 24fps all-i which is the lower compression format. Is the card too slow or could there be some other issue here? These cards work fine in my XA20 at 35Mb/s.

Bob

Mark Rosenzweig September 25th, 2013 09:14 AM

Re: 70D message - "movie recording has been stopped automatica​lly"

Did you format the card in the 70D, using low-level format before using the card in the 70D?

Bob Ohlemann September 25th, 2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1814446)
Did you format the card in the 70D, using low-level format before using the card in the 70D?

I did. Looking at the manual, it says I need at least 20MB/s. I'm thinking that my cards are actually 30MB/s read and 20MB/s write. I may be just too close. The manual gives no other explanation other than SD card not being fast enough.

Bob

Donald McPherson September 25th, 2013 10:20 AM

Could be a forgery SD card. Apparently there are loads sold on eBay.

Robert Benda September 25th, 2013 11:25 AM

or your camera is overheating. Our 70D also refused to record, but we had been using it off and on for a few hours, so for now, I'm assuming it's a heat issue, but will keep an eye on it.

Mark Rosenzweig September 25th, 2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlemann (Post 1814452)
I did. Looking at the manual, it says I need at least 20MB/s. I'm thinking that my cards are actually 30MB/s read and 20MB/s write. I may be just too close. The manual gives no other explanation other than SD card not being fast enough.

Bob

20MB/s=160Mbps. That is a really high bitrate. Is that what you are shooting?

Bob Ohlemann September 25th, 2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Benda (Post 1814457)
or your camera is overheating. Our 70D also refused to record, but we had been using it off and on for a few hours, so for now, I'm assuming it's a heat issue, but will keep an eye on it.

I don't think it's overheating. I have recorded exactly five clips with it; all under 45 seconds (not counting the clip described below).

I downloaded and ran a speedtest program on my SD cards and came up with some interesting information. The max write speed on my PNY "High Performance" 30MB/s was only 9MB/s as tested through a USB2.0 card reader. I thought maybe the card reader was limiting the write speed so I plugged a UDMA 600x Transcend CF card and got a write speed of 14.5MB/s. I do believe that is limited by the USB2.0 connection. So then I plugged in a PNY "Professional" 20MB/s SDHC card and got a write speed of 11.9MB/s. The slower advertised card had a faster write speed.

I plugged the 20MB/s card into the 70D, did a format, and recorded a 3.5 minute clip with no issues. I have now ordered a couple Transcend 32GB 80MB/s SDXC cards.

Bob

Bob Ohlemann September 26th, 2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1814479)
20MB/s=160Mbps. That is a really high bitrate. Is that what you are shooting?

Looks to be about 91Mbps.

Bob

Michael Bishop September 27th, 2013 08:49 AM

I pick up a 70D the other day. I seen where your talking SD cards. I shoot a little clip yesterday at the IPB. Windows says the total bitrate was 31859kbps. This morning I try shooting a clip at All- I mode. I had a Scan Disk Ultra 30MB/s' card in. It would only record for about 4 seconds. Windows said the total bitrate 94128kbps.

What cards or speed of card will work for the All-I mode?

Media info says the video stream is 87.9 Mbps for All-I mode.

Robert Benda September 27th, 2013 09:06 AM

Wow. Guess I didn't count on that. I do have some SanDisk extremes that write up to 60mb/s. They also have an Extreme Pro that writes at 90mb/s

Bob Ohlemann September 27th, 2013 09:59 AM

I believe a class 10 card is only required to write at 10MB/s. That is not fast enough for All-I recording on the 70D. The manual says 20MB/s and it means 20MB/s. The problem is a lot of the numbers on cards are over-inflated. I went with Transcend 600x cards with a advertised 45MB/s write speed and 80MB/s read. I've always found Transcend cards to be excellent.

Bob

Craig Chartier September 27th, 2013 09:59 AM

Hoodman makes a very good SD card. 32gb 90mb/s works with the 70D, BM pocket cam and the XA-20 just fine for me.

I've also heard of the fake cards not performing up to listed specs.

Mark Rosenzweig September 27th, 2013 10:01 AM

Megabytes and megabits

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bishop (Post 1814674)
I pick up a 70D the other day. I seen where your talking SD cards. I shoot a little clip yesterday at the IPB. Windows says the total bitrate was 31859kbps. This morning I try shooting a clip at All- I mode. I had a Scan Disk Ultra 30MB/s' card in. It would only record for about 4 seconds. Windows said the total bitrate 94128kbps.

What cards or speed of card will work for the All-I mode?

Media info says the video stream is 87.9 Mbps for All-I mode.

There is much confusion because sd cards give you speed in megabytes and bitrates are given in megabits. There are 8 megabits per megabyte.

Thus 87.9 Mbps = just 11MBps (megabytes per second). Thus a card rated for 30MBps should be more than fine. The card speed rating (if it is correct) is NOT the problem.

Bob Ohlemann September 27th, 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1814690)
There is much confusion because sd cards give you speed in megabytes and bitrates are given in megabits. There are 8 megabits per megabyte.

Thus 87.9 Mbps = just 11MBps (megabytes per second). Thus a card rated for 30MBps should be more than fine. The card speed rating (if it is correct) is NOT the problem.

The problem is even authentic, name brand cards like the PNY I bought from Best Buy, aren't completely forthright in their speed ratings. My 30MB/s PNY cards only said 30MB/s on the card and packaging. There was no indication as to whether that was read or write. I did a lot of digging yesterday after posting this problem and it turns out that the card is only rated at 10MB/s write speed. After testing two of them with a read-write speed test program, neither got above 9.25MB/s. They really don't even qualify for class 10 rating.

I am getting by right now on a card that gave me just under 12MB/s in testing but, I'm recording at 24fps. I suspect that if I bumped my frame rate to 30, it might not work.

Bob

Added - I just took a look at the Sandisk website and they are just as vague. The 30MB/s Ultra just says "Performance/speed: Up to 30MB/s read speed; write speed lower"

Michael Bishop September 27th, 2013 05:52 PM

This evening I put in a Kingston Ultimate 100x 32 GB SD card. I got it back in 2011 for a HD GoPro camera and it keep recording at the All-I mode. At 30 fps. I can say oh that a guy would need a few of those cards file size was 1.80 GB for 2 minutes and 57 seconds of video.