DSLR top handle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 29th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
New Boot

DSLR top handle

Something lightweight I came up with for low angle shooting. Good for DSLRs like 60D & 70D with flip-out LCDs. It doesn't fall off even when the securing thumbscrew is loose (unllike those already available in the market). You got to unscrew 3-4 turns to release the handle. No fear of tilting your camera downwards!
Attached Thumbnails
DSLR top handle-dslr-top-handle.jpg  
Alvin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: DSLR top handle

looks very nice. i do not have a flip out lcd on the eos m cam. how about a mirror box periscope that attaches with velcro or rubber bands? having an upside down image is better than nothing for framing.

alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So, is yours still just held by friction? I'm guessing that you can just put more pressure on it because of the knob location. This is one I made the other day for my 70D.

Bob

lightened top handle by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #4
New Boot

Alex, I use a Genus mirror box on my 5D. The handle does come in useful for me. I do not need to strain my right wrist at an awkward angle.

Bob, my design is not just held by friction like yours. Your design is similar to that offered by Shape and Cineik, which allows the camera to slip off when the thumb nut comes even a little loose. In my design, I overcame this problem. I have a cap that sits and covers the entire flash-mount. It is locked down by the thumb screw when you attach the entire assembly to the camera. You'll need the thumb screw to come loose by 3-4 full turns before the cap clears the flash-mount to allow the camera to slip off.

Hence with my handle, you'll be able to detect the loose fit before the camera has the chance to fall off.
Alvin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Major Player

I have been thinking about building this same sort of thing.

one thing bothers me, I am worried about the flash mount ripping of my camera one day.

any thoughts on that issue?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD