60D Owner Needing Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 9th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Tourist

60D Owner Needing Recommendations

Hi,

I'm a 60D owner and I typically do music videos or promotional videos - haven't ventured out into short films yet.

Basically, I finally have the chance to upgrade equipment and get other accessories and was wondering what you all would recommend.

I have now:
Monopod
DSLR LED Light mounted on top of the camera
HD-4000 Glidecam
50mm lens
Tokina Wide Angle 11-16mm
Canon 18-135mm
And recently ordered a table top slider skater thing

I know that I'm in desperate need of a new tripod and lighting setup - if you could try to recommend any other pieces of equipment and a recommended tripod/lighting set up that I would probably need?

I know lighting is very important in video - I can't imagine how much a light set up will improve the quality in my videos.

Thanks.
Rhyne Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: 60D Owner Needing Recommendations

Maybe think about a sigma 30mm 1.4, when I do clubs that's my go to lens as I very rarely use a light its just not practical. If I do have a light its the same as yours but I turn the brightness down slightly. Run and gun in a club a little shoulder/chest rig off amazon does the trick. View finder I need as me eyes are bad for focusing. Zacuto if you can afford it.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with adding a fast lens in the 30-35mm range would be good. One of the negatives about the Sigma 30mm is that it is APS-C, which means you can't use it on a full frame camera. If you go with a Bower, Samyang, Rokinon or similar, you can use it on a full frame camera if you upgrade or rent in the future.

It looks like your longer lens is a kit lens, which is slow. I don't know if you have a need to shoot tighter than the 50mm, but if you do, consider an 85mm 1.4 Bower, Samyang, Rokinon, etc. f/1.4 or even f/2.0 makes a huge difference over the kit lens.

For lighting, as long as you don't need to light really large areas, I would consider the YONGNUO YN-300-II. Just google it. You can mount these on light stands. They have barn doors, dimmer and remote. They have a set of 3200K LEDs and a set of 5500K LEDs, so you can shoot under various lighting conditions and even adjust between the two for mixed lighting scenarios. It's so much faster than having to gel the lights to get the proper color balance.

I used to have the 312AS LED lights, but they gave off a green tint. These Yongnuo YN 300 II lights do not. Last thing about these lights. Make sure you get the version 2. Version 1 only has the 5500K LEDs, so you have to gel them to get them down to 3200K and they also gave off a green tint.

For tripods I use the Manfrotto 503 heads, which I like better than the 503HDV and 501 series heads. The 503 is discontinued, but you can find them on eBay at a good price.

With both the LED lights and Manfrotto heads, you can spend a lot more on higher end equipment, but based on the gear you listed, these may be a good next step while at the same time, offering a good bang for your buck.
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely going to look up and possibly buy these options asap - but before I do, are there anymore opinions out there? Thank you!
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Tourist

Also, if anyone could recommend sliders and high quality back drops and set ups for that (such as shooting a music video with a black/white curtain, or an interview...along with the structures that hold them up) Or if having a green screen would be a better suggestion - give me your opinion on that as well. And last but not least - what is a suggested microphone to be connected to my 60D to get a better sound for recording interviews and what not? I've seen the Rode microphone at guitar center and what not..but your opinions? Thanks!
Old January 3rd, 2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Rhyne Simpson I don't have the 60D. I have a 70D but I pick up a Konova K2 slider to start using. I have seen some good reviews on it. The wife paid $269 for it for me. Here is a review iif it.

Konova K2 Slider Review - DSLR Video Shooter
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

How are you guys shooting with these lenses opened way up at f1.4/1.8/2.0 etc? I shoot weddings on a 60d with a Sigma 24-70, shooting pretty wide open for low-light situations, and pulling focus is really difficult. (Albeit, I have no monitor or viewfinder yet.)
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have had no problem with the 70D on auto focus with the 50mm 1.8 or with the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 downtown at night I on the street. I want to get the new Sigma 18-35mm 1.8. With a 1.8 I can get good exposure at 1600 ISO and good looking video. With the 2.8 Tokina I have to thake the ISO to 3200 and get some noise and use Neat video to get it out. that is shooting at 30FPS 1/60 shutter speed.
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD