DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Continuous recording on a Canon 70D? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/521133-continuous-recording-canon-70d.html)

Matt Thomas January 18th, 2014 09:35 AM

Continuous recording on a Canon 70D?

Just wondering, which of the new Canon DSLR offer's continuous recording (without Magic Lantern) was it the 70D?

Doesn't this Camera have auto-focus as well? Which lenses does it work with?

Considering getting one to go alongside my Canon 550D, for my DSLR kit.

Michael Bishop January 18th, 2014 01:25 PM

Re: Continuous recording on a Canon 70D?

Matt yes it does have auto-focus in video Live view and work great. Has for continuous recording I have not shoot any real long clip yet. Here is what Canon site says. "The maximum recording time is limited to 29 min. 59 sec" and "."If the file size exceed 4GB, a new file will be automatically created."

If you have not seen it I post on this thread a behind the scenes of a short film called Tips of Our Fingers done by HUMBLE TV. Here a link to the post. Scroll down to the last post.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...sonic-gh3.html

Matt Thomas January 18th, 2014 04:16 PM

Ah right, so unlike the 550D which just stops once it reaches 4gb (you have to press rec again) - unless you have magic lantern, the 70D automatically starts on another 4gb file.

Is it just STM lenses that work with the autofocus? ]

Thanks
Matt

Michael Bishop January 18th, 2014 05:58 PM

I have use the Canon cheep 50mm 1.8 and the Tokina 11-16mm with the 70D all work great with auto-focus. The thing about the STM lenses is the motor don't make any noise they are quit. The other lens you hear the motor so if you are using the build in audio it's going to pick up that sound of the motor. I have used any audio yet in my video I have put music to them. If you record the audio on like a zoom h1 or off camera you be fine. Witch they say that's the best why. I done know about a Rode mic on the shoe plug in to the camera. When I do start using audio I'm going to get one of the zooms and run the on camera mic and do the clap of my hand to sync the off camera audio up.

On the rec time here is what Camera Labs says on the 70D. "The maximum recording time in any mode is a second shy of half an hour, and if the file exceeds 4GB, subsequent files will be created to continue the recording uninterrupted. I put this to the test and managed to record a 29:59 movie using the 1080/30p/IPB mode, split into two files measuring 4.28GB and 2.79GB. I started with a fully charged battery, which reported 74% remaining at the end; Canon quotes 80 minutes recording time per charge. The camera body was warm afterwards, but not hot and I didn't notice any increased image noise on the video; Canon does warn if the conditions are hot though the camera could stop recording sooner." So I would take it that after the 29:59 minutes time is up you would have to hit the record button then. No sure on that. I have been shooting in the All-I mode my self it does need a fast SD card for it. ScanDisk Extreme 95 MB/s and a Kingston card that works in the All-I.

From what I have read that Canon has to come out with a firmware update for the 70D before magic lantern can start to work on ML for the 70D.

Michael Bishop January 18th, 2014 07:14 PM

I think to night I will turn the 70D on and hit record and see how long it records.

Donald McPherson January 19th, 2014 03:20 AM

For those asking on other Canon DSLRs Magic Lantern's continious looses a couple of seconds (4GB limit )with the record restart but will fill the SD card as long as it does not shut down due to overheating.

Robert Benda January 19th, 2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 1828353)
Is it just STM lenses that work with the autofocus? ]t

NO, all the Canon lenses work, it's just that the STM lenses will be another measure smoother, but also MUCH quieter.

Apparently some non-Canon lenses work, too. I watched a YouTube review, and he used the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 ($900) which is really interesting to us as wedding shooters. That seems like it would be a great lens to pair with for prep (for the focal length) and the dance (for the aperture).

Michael Bishop January 19th, 2014 10:23 AM

Matt I put a 32GB SD card in with the battery charge to 100%. I had the 70D set to 30fps on All-I. When I hit record I seen it say on the screen 29:59. So I figure that the camera was going to stop recording at that time. I look at my clock and walk back over to the camera a few minutes before that time was up. It did stop recording at that time. I did hit the record button and it took of recording and counting down that 29:59 again. I had 4 files on the SD card from that 29:59 time. The first file was 3.96GB in size. The other 3 was 3.97 GB in size. In the A-II mode the bitrate was 88683 Kbps.

So it will stop recording at the 29:59 minutes time. I will give this info to. The camera was setting in a room with a temperature of 72F and I could the camera had a warm feeling but not hot and did take right of recording again.

I read where people say it's a legal thing to prevent extra import duties in the EU. So for longer that 29:59 minutes of record time. We have to wait till Canon come out with a firmware update and see if Magic Lantern can do there magic on it.

Robert Benda is right on the other lens. The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a lens on my buy list. I have seen some sharp stills and video from it.

Oh just a little more info my battery said 72% left on it after that test.

Ron Little January 19th, 2014 10:30 AM

Does anyone know if the 70D has picture profiles?

Michael Bishop January 19th, 2014 10:39 AM

Ron it does have picture style menu like portrait, landscape, neutral and all that. Plus three user def if that is what your talking about.

Ron Little January 19th, 2014 12:42 PM

Thank You that is exactly what I was talking about. Now can you get a clean HDMI out to a recorder?

Michael Bishop January 19th, 2014 01:22 PM

Ron I was researching that yesterday and from what I have read is no. Maybe if people that has them could email Canon about it. They could do it in a firmware update like they did with the 5D Mark III last April. I know a lot of people think they will do the wireless remote for video in a update. Witch would be nice. I have used the wireless with my Nexus 7 tablet for stills.

I would like to say I have just started learning shoot video and photography this past year. It has became a hobby for know, but I would like to get to where I could do a short documentary film. I have few things in mine for this year to help push me.

Robert Benda January 19th, 2014 02:37 PM

Ron, we haven't been able to do HDMI output on it. The only other item of note is the extra button to get to the white balance - that's kind of annoying coming from a 5d Mark ii with it's own WB button right on top.

Everything else we really like about it. Touch screen focus with face tracking is great. We plan on buying a second one.

Michael Bishop January 19th, 2014 07:23 PM

Matt I was looking at you website looks like you do great work.

Ron Little January 20th, 2014 10:01 AM

I plugged it into a monitor. I can get the overlays off screen in manual focus. But the image is cropped with a black band all the way around the image. I bet that is being done in the firmware. I hope they fix it in an update.