DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   T3i problems-Do I need a different camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/521180-t3i-problems-do-i-need-different-camera.html)

John Cash January 21st, 2014 02:13 PM

T3i problems-Do I need a different camera?

I am trying to become a pro level videographer in a niche. - Multirotors
I have had my T3i for about 3 years and Im wondering if thats a 'weak link" for me.
I cant seem to get good footage shooting 1080 at 30fps. eveything I shoot from the air looks so much better at 60fps but that means I have to shoot at 720 with the T3i.
Everything is shot outdoors in bright sunlight. but at 1080 I get horrible rolling shutter when I pan. Even slow pan.
Could be the lens, Im using the stock 18-55 kit lens . Can you get nice looking action footage with this camera ? Or, does the action always have to be coming right at you to avoid the Pan issue?

I have tried the magic Lantern Hack and maybe I should try it again.

anyone use this camera for fast action?

Jeff Pulera January 21st, 2014 02:31 PM

Re: T3i problems-Do I need a different camera?

Hi John,

Is the camera mounted on a gimbal? That is the only way to get smooth footage

Thanks

Jon Fairhurst January 21st, 2014 04:55 PM

A wider lens, like a fisheye, will help reduce the motion on the screen and that helps reduce rolling shutter. Reducing vibration is also important as it can make the image look like jello.

You also mentioned the frame rate. This might indicate that you are panning at an unfortunate speed. In the ASC handbook, there are recommendations for pan times, including tables of lenses and degrees per second. The bottom line is that when panning at 24 fps, you should pan slowly enough that an object on one edge of the screen takes at lest 7 seconds to get to the other side of the screen. Doing the math, at 30 fps you want 5.6 seconds or longer for an edge to edge pan. Otherwise, you will see excessive judder. This assumes a shutter speed of 1/60 at 30 fps (180 degree shutter.)

There are two exceptions to the rule:

1) You can do whip pans. The faster the better. Sure, the rolling shutter will be excessive, but the idea is to disorient the audience and have them quickly change focus from one subject to another. Any image quality problems are gone before anyone can point it out.

2) You can track a moving object with the camera while the background pans too quickly. The eye will focus on the smooth, tracked object and won't notice the ugly background - assuming that the object is large enough and interesting enough.

So, to summarize,
a) you can use a wider lens,
b) minimize vibrations with a good mount,
c) use a 180 degree or 50% shutter (1/60 for 30 fps),
d) pan slowly (>5.6 seconds), very fast (whip), or track an interesting subject.

Best of luck!

Bill Bruner January 21st, 2014 06:11 PM

You need a 1080/60p camera like the GH3. Here is what it can do:

(please watch at 1080p):

With a $32 adapter with built-in aperture control, you can continue using your Canon EF lenses.

Good luck,

Bill