remote video with 70D: camranger? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 5th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Tourist

remote video with 70D: camranger?

I plan to be shooting a lot of wildlife video, and it's become apparent that I need some remote capabilities for the vertebrates (my still photos is mostly macro). As far as I can tell, though, Canon's remotes, and its wifi capabilities in general, are designed exclusively for photos, and expressly don't work with video (what's up with that?!). I've been looking online at the Camranger setup, which seems like it may be just what I need. Has anyone here used that system, specifically with the 70D? Given the usual tight budget, I'm very curious how well it works for remote video shoots.

Thanks!

Alan
Alan Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: remote video with 70D: camranger?

Hi Alan,

If you can wait for a day or two, I am just about to take delivery of a 70d and a 10-22mm to use with the cam ranger. I'll report back once I get it all working.

Andrew
Andrew Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: remote video with 70D: camranger?

Hi Alan,

The Camranger does work with the 70d for video, but with one issue. I have to; on the camera, first select live view video, then photo and then the video icon works on my iPad. I don't know why this is, but its the way it works. After that, I get the capture icon and I can start and stop video as much as I want.

I have not tested the device for range yet. In video mode the Camranger streams about 15 FPS, so it mayn't be fast enough for timing that decisive moment.

Hope that this helps.

Andrew
Andrew Gough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD