Re-Buying kit lenses for 70D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Trustee

Re-Buying kit lenses for 70D

I'm looking for suggestions of anyone else who has dealt with lenses on the 70D, for weddings.

So, after 3 years of slowly getting nicer equipment, among other choices, we now have 2 70Ds. Except that without the STM lenses, the live autofocus is both noisy and does too much hunting and pecking. We even saw the lens glass vibrating in some shots.

I'm assuming this is what you guys see/hear, too?

I haven't tested any of the STM lenses out, yet, but I'm assuming I'll be forced to use the Canon 18-135mm stm, then, to make sure I can have something with long reach, just in case, I'll be ordering a pair of those 55-250mm kit lenses. *sigh*

That means my 70D bag will look like this:
Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM
Canon 55-250mm f/3.5-5.6 STM

We do have a collection of (USM and manual) primes with faster apertures, too. I may keep the 70-200mm f/2.8 on hand, but not put it on the camera until it's time for the vows/rings, focus it, and then turn auto-focus off to make sure it doesn't pick up the wrong focal point.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Re-Buying kit lenses for 70D

I also have the 70d and have had very good luck with it. I did have the 18-135 STM and can report flawless operation in live view auto focus.

My results with the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 have also been very good. In live view focus is flawless however if you are using it as a proper photo lens I have noticed a focus miss rate of maybe 10%. When its on its razor sharp..which makes those missed shots even more painful.
Randy Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Randy. I guess I'll go ahead and order a pair of the 18-135mm.

I'll be doing some tests with Sigma's 17-50mm f.2.8 and 17-70mm f/2.8-4 (macro) tomorrow.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

When I got the 70D I got the 18-135 STM lens. I have been happy with it. I want to get the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for shooting video at night in town.
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD