DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   1rst DSLR but not an amateur (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/523980-1rst-dslr-but-not-amateur.html)

Tiago Cristovao July 6th, 2014 07:47 AM

1rst DSLR but not an amateur

Hello guys.

I would like some help to take the next step, i would like to buy a DSLR for video.

I'm nowhere near a professional but i'm not a beginner either. In my job we shoot with a Canon PMW-200 (i work for a company that's shoots things related to religion; so churches, etc...well, no god deal really), so i have the basic understanding of exposure, ISO,etc. I've also worked with a Canon 5D but not for much time.

I own a Canon HF S20 but i would like to upgrade and buy something that gives me a better look to the things i'll pretend to shoot. I mean short films, some "free" videos (shooting streets, landscaping, etc)

The problem is, there is so much good DSLR's that i don't eve know which one to pick. Could you guys help me please? I can't decide between GH3, Nikon D7100 or Canon 70D and i've been like this for weeks. I've read many reviews, seen many videos but i can't decide, i'm afraid to make a bad choice

Price range would be $1000 (body only) and mainly for video . I know $1000 it's not too much but i guess it's possible to buy something that gives a great look for that price?

I would go for D7100 but the fixed LCD and that exposure problem in live view, makes me think twice.

Thank you!

Noa Put July 6th, 2014 08:04 AM

Re: 1rst DSLR but not an amateur

The 70d appears to have some excellent focussing aids which you will find very usefull if you don't have much experiences with a dslr, the gh3 is a very good dslr as well and you might consider the g6 as well, I have that model also and it's a great little camera and prizes have gone down on that model.

Robert Benda July 6th, 2014 08:43 AM

I think its really less about the camera, and more about the lenses, especially going forward. You should probably wait for Canon's camera announcement in August to see if you want to stay in their eco-sphere. Otherwise, I'd lean to the Sony A7s, which I know isn't in your price range, but buying something that will let you keep the lenses and move up when you're ready is the goal.

We own two 70Ds and a 5d Mark ii (which can also be had, gently used, for $1000).

The 70Ds video focusing is hot garbage without the correct lenses. We don't have the budget for great lenses, and have never tried the 70-200mm f/2.8, for instance, so I have no idea how the better lenses do on the camera.

The only lens we own that tracks smoothly and quietly is, weirdly enough, the super cheap 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. We have tried one or two other STM lenses (like the 55-250mm, also cheap), and they were jerky and noisy when tracking focus. I still need to run tests on our primes.

Beyond that, the ONLY two things I don't like are 1) no magic lantern, and 2) the extra steps to get to your white balance, especially kelvin. Its under a menu instead of having its own button like our 5d Mark ii. We do like the swivel screen, touch screen face tracking focusing, and flexibility. It will record up to 30 minutes continuous since it automatically breaks up the files into the 12 minute clips.

The 5d Mark ii is nice with magic lantern because it fixes several issues (audio meters, recording more than 12 minutes), but it doesn't have the auto-focusing video, or a swivel screen. However, with Magic Lantern I can do some other fun stuff like changing the fps down to 5 second exposures with the push of 2 buttons (tried it yesterday to shoot some cloud time lapses during the day, then my kids with sparklers at night), and the built in intervalometer.

Tiago Cristovao July 6th, 2014 10:34 AM

Noa Put thank you for your reply. Yes, alot of people recommend GH3 and i've seen amazing videos from it!

Robert Benda, what about SONY ALPHA A77 MK II? I guess it's good?

Noa Put July 6th, 2014 10:44 AM

You can get just as good video out of the g6 compared to the gh3 at half the price if you shoot in 25p (50p is softer)