Multicam Configuration - EOS M? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Multicam Configuration - EOS M?

Hello all,

I'm working with a small podcasting group that's looking to expand into video - they've asked me to come up with a setup for this, with a budget of $800 to work with.

Currently, this is the gear set I am planning on...

2x Canon EOS-M, running ML for increased bitrate H.264
2x Kit 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lenses
2x Doplica 62 in. AX620B100 Ball Head Tripods
2x generic wall-outlet adapter kit for consistent power

Given that this was originally an audio podcast, audio recording setup is pretty well covered. I have Plural Eyes 3, and am planning on using this to synchronize - bouncing the XML to Premiere to use the Multicam Monitor.

At some point, we hope to get into livestreaming our podcasts - with this comes one big concern.

Is the Canon EOS-M capable of producing CLEAN hdmi output, using Magic Lantern? Would this need to be cropped down to 1280 x 720 in post? (Although I've found general ML information, I can't seem to find information regarding which ML port the EOS-M uses!)

All in all, I'm just looking on some suggestions and feedback. Any other configuration suggestions welcome, or tweaks to what I came up would be welcome as well.

Any help I can get with this will be greatly appreciated - thanks, all!
Mark Yungmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Multicam Configuration - EOS M?

No. The M won't produce clean HDMI out, natively but maybe ML will allow it to do that. As you may already know, it does not produce clean HDMI out normally from the M. If someone can show me how to make ML get the M to do clean HDMI out, I'd be thrilled. I'm using my 5D Mkiii for clean HDMI.

Try this build, EOSM.202 from this location on ML website
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #3
New Boot

Yes, I was aware that I wasn't going to get native clean HDMI out of it... was just hoping somebody might know if ML would add that functionality to the EOS M!
Old July 14th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Did you get a chance to try out the ML build?
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #5
New Boot

Don't have the camera yet! Had been hoping to confirm availability of clean HDMI with ML before purchasing the kit.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Major Player

I just loaded ML on my EOS M. I *did* get clean HDMI out of it to my Marshall V-LCD50-HDI while recording! The ML menues show up while NOT recording, but when I push record, it's clean.

You may find, since you mention that you are using this for webcasting, that it causes a bit of problem, in that you have to have the camera recording to be able to take a feed from it into something like wirecast. One of the benefits in using the C100 for example is that I don't need to actually press the record button. I can record off the mixed feed on the WC computer, which in certain circumstances is preferable.

Last edited by Al Bergstein; July 16th, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:55 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
I just loaded ML on my EOS M. I *did* get clean HDMI out of it to my Marshall V-LCD50-HDI while recording! The ML menues show up while NOT recording, but when I push record, it's clean.

You may find, since you mention that you are using this for webcasting, that it causes a bit of problem, in that you have to have the camera recording to be able to take a feed from it into something like wirecast. One of the benefits in using the C100 for example is that I don't need to actually press the record button. I can record off the mixed feed on the WC computer, which in certain circumstances is preferable.
Thanks for the reply, Al! Would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on a C100 (or better yet, a C300!). After buying a BMCC, though, don't really have the spare change for it.
Mark Yungmann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD