DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Multicam Configuration - EOS M? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/524069-multicam-configuration-eos-m.html)

Mark Yungmann July 12th, 2014 10:15 PM

Multicam Configuration - EOS M?

Hello all,

I'm working with a small podcasting group that's looking to expand into video - they've asked me to come up with a setup for this, with a budget of $800 to work with.

Currently, this is the gear set I am planning on...

2x Canon EOS-M, running ML for increased bitrate H.264
2x Kit 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lenses
2x Doplica 62 in. AX620B100 Ball Head Tripods
2x generic wall-outlet adapter kit for consistent power

Given that this was originally an audio podcast, audio recording setup is pretty well covered. I have Plural Eyes 3, and am planning on using this to synchronize - bouncing the XML to Premiere to use the Multicam Monitor.

At some point, we hope to get into livestreaming our podcasts - with this comes one big concern.

Is the Canon EOS-M capable of producing CLEAN hdmi output, using Magic Lantern? Would this need to be cropped down to 1280 x 720 in post? (Although I've found general ML information, I can't seem to find information regarding which ML port the EOS-M uses!)

All in all, I'm just looking on some suggestions and feedback. Any other configuration suggestions welcome, or tweaks to what I came up would be welcome as well.

Any help I can get with this will be greatly appreciated - thanks, all!

Al Bergstein July 13th, 2014 10:58 PM

Re: Multicam Configuration - EOS M?

No. The M won't produce clean HDMI out, natively but maybe ML will allow it to do that. As you may already know, it does not produce clean HDMI out normally from the M. If someone can show me how to make ML get the M to do clean HDMI out, I'd be thrilled. I'm using my 5D Mkiii for clean HDMI.

Try this build, EOSM.202 from this location on ML website
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Mark Yungmann July 14th, 2014 05:41 PM

Yes, I was aware that I wasn't going to get native clean HDMI out of it... was just hoping somebody might know if ML would add that functionality to the EOS M!

Al Bergstein July 14th, 2014 09:02 PM

Did you get a chance to try out the ML build?

Mark Yungmann July 15th, 2014 10:22 AM

Don't have the camera yet! Had been hoping to confirm availability of clean HDMI with ML before purchasing the kit.

Al Bergstein July 15th, 2014 06:16 PM

I just loaded ML on my EOS M. I *did* get clean HDMI out of it to my Marshall V-LCD50-HDI while recording! The ML menues show up while NOT recording, but when I push record, it's clean.

You may find, since you mention that you are using this for webcasting, that it causes a bit of problem, in that you have to have the camera recording to be able to take a feed from it into something like wirecast. One of the benefits in using the C100 for example is that I don't need to actually press the record button. I can record off the mixed feed on the WC computer, which in certain circumstances is preferable.

Mark Yungmann July 22nd, 2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bergstein (Post 1855258)
I just loaded ML on my EOS M. I *did* get clean HDMI out of it to my Marshall V-LCD50-HDI while recording! The ML menues show up while NOT recording, but when I push record, it's clean.

You may find, since you mention that you are using this for webcasting, that it causes a bit of problem, in that you have to have the camera recording to be able to take a feed from it into something like wirecast. One of the benefits in using the C100 for example is that I don't need to actually press the record button. I can record off the mixed feed on the WC computer, which in certain circumstances is preferable.

Thanks for the reply, Al! Would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on a C100 (or better yet, a C300!). After buying a BMCC, though, don't really have the spare change for it.