Acceptable ISO for video on the 70D? and other questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 13th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Acceptable ISO for video on the 70D? and other questions

Hello guys.

I got my 70D a could of months ago and I am loving everything about it especially the video auto focus. I don't even care about getting a full frame anymore ; )

Anyways what I am wondering is whats the highest ISO for giving you acceptable video?

I know my NEXEA50 can go up to 21DB (which I forgot what that converts to in ISO). I am guessing were looking at 2500-3200 ISO?

Also for anyone who uses DSLR for video do any of your guys turn down the sharpness and/or saturation to make it look more cinematic? It would seem that these cameras give you a really colorful video but some people might prefer a less saturated video. i've been sorta playing it safe but I wanna explore other picture profile styles.

I've been sticking to the default settings since I also use it for photos but was basically wondering if anyone here uses different settings for video.

Thanks!
Francisco Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Acceptable ISO for video on the 70D? and other questions

I find 3200 pretty noisy, but neat video cleans it up really well, and is infinitely faster in its newest version (I am using it on mbp 4 core with fcpx, and it is a brave new world of crazy fast rendering!).
I experimented with the cinema style profile, but ultimately got better results using just the neutral profile with sharpening all the way down, contrast -4, saturation -2. In the old fcp I would use the unsharp mask to sharpen in post, but the new sharpen filter does a great job with just one slider to add it in...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Acceptable ISO for video on the 70D? and other questions

Perfect thanks for the reply
Francisco Estrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD