no much 7d mark ii talk? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 6th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

no much 7d mark ii talk?

Hello again.

This is my second attempt to gain some feed back from peeps in the field and I confess from all I read so far I'm still undecided as in what to get.

One thing that i find curious is the lack of talk in this forum of the new 7d mark ii, I think it might be that the field most people are into are not what this cam is aim for, or the fact that a lot of people in the video field are actually moving away from canon. I KNOW what the camera CAN do and what it LACKS, but i was expecting a bit more of enthusiast for it. So, that and a feeling that it is a bit expensive for what it is is making me doubt if I should jump aboard.

anybody here bought it and share opinions?

I already have invested in canon lenses
I need it for photo and video, (right now more photo use, but soon video too)
all king of events and anything that comes up...maybe horses too..lol
own a 5d mark ii (afraid of dying on me) and t3i (too noisy, need to go)

thanks a lot for any feed back.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: no much 7d mark ii talk?

I've been *this* close to upgrading to the 7D2 from my 70D.

The 7D2 has just about everything I want in a still photo camera, especially that 10fps frame rate. For video, the *big* deal to me is the headphone jack... something that the 5D2 *should* have had when it was first introduced in Oct. 2008.

The 7D2 checks almost all the boxes for me, except for one thing: I've become seriously spoiled by the touch screen focus control on the 70D and I'm not sure how I would adapt back out of that. It's so wonderfully convenient to handle focus in video mode that way on the 70D. I'm not sure I can give that up. Or to put it another way, I'm not sure how I would handle focus in AF mode on the 7D2 without a touchscreen.

That's the main thing that's been holding me back from getting one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

HI Chris.

so great to hear your feed back...thanks a lot. Someone suggested the 70d to me as well, and it is so tempting, especially the $$$ savings. I'm worry about the noise level...i am sure is better than the t3i but feel it might not be enough...besides al the new technology into the 7d mark ii. Glad to hear you like it thou. I think I'll buy tonight...so close...lol.

thanks
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm with you, Chris. Every new camera announcement, I check to see if it uses the same touchscreen (and face tracking) as the 70D. We shoot wedding videos, and it has made my life measurably easier. Better ISO, dynamic range, and other features aren't enough to pry the 70D (with all its faults) out of my hands.

I've also heard next to nil about the 7D mark ii. Though, for a photo shooter, seems like it would be great.

/waiting for a camera with the 70D's focusing, clean image at iso 6400, and in camera 4K.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I've become seriously spoiled by the touch screen focus control on the 70D and I'm not sure how I would adapt back out of that.
I would assume it's a casualty of being weather-sealed (one of the reasons the 5D/7D also don't have articulating LCD screens).

Be interesting to see if/when those particular things get added to the upper end line.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Major Player

I seriously considered the 7D MKII as a replacement for my 7D, which gets lots of use for time lapses, general photography, and the video is mostly tilt-shift stuff. I also have the Canon XTi (400D) and the 50D. I have a nice collection of Canon glass to go with these cameras. In the end, the MKII's minor improvement in video was not enough to sway me and I decided it really was time to step up to full frame, which I had hoped would give me better wide angle coverage. So I got the 6D instead. In addition to wide angle improvement, I have better low-light. I don't shoot sports, so the drop in fps is no big deal.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That is my big debate right now...

save $$$ and get the 6D

1080/ 60p for video
AF for video (none on 60p thou)
really good AF for photo
are few things hard to say not

also 6D is being ready to be updated.

I know..It can go either way....i go back and forth between them.

thanks for imput.
Old May 30th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #8
New Boot

Bought a 7DII at work (for stills and another video source - use C300 as our main video camera) I found that while it does lack the touch screen, you can still pull focus by moving the focus point with the multi-direction button on the back - OR what I really like to do is plug a windows surface tab into the 7DII running EOS utility then use the touch screen on that to pull focus, (as well as adjust other settings and use as a larger monitor). This works great for a 2-3 camera person crew, ie - when we put it on the Ronin. Though for a one person crew this wouldn't be a practical solution.

My daughter has the 70D, and I really liked the touch screen when I borrowed it, BUT found I was not able to use custom picture profiles on the camera with video - only while taking stills.
Phil Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD