Store battery on charger? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 26th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Store battery on charger?

Is it safe to store an LP-E6 battery attached to the charger? Or does that discharge the battery quicker than storing it separately?
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Store battery on charger?

Normally I will store an extra LP-E6 on the charger in my camera bag, just as you describe.

However, I make it a point to "top off the charge" on all batts. before using the camera. So I'm not able to say anything about any slow discharge, sorry.

Another thing I do because I'm so forgetful sometimes: when I remove a batt. from the camera, I leave the camera battery access door *open* to remind me there's no battery in it.

If there's a heavy lens or other gear on the camera, sometimes it's hard for me to tell if it has a battery in it just by feeling the weight. So I leave that door open as a visual reminder to put a battery in it.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. What do you mean by "top off the charge"?
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

By that I mean: plug the charger into a wall outlet and charge the batteries -- which are usually fully charged after the last time I used them. But, like you, I wonder if a batt. discharges if it's mounted on a charger while stored in the bag. Therefore, I'll do a quick charge before going out for the day, to "top off the batteries," so to speak, so that I know they are completely full. Since they are already mostly fully charged anyway, it never takes very long... usually just a matter of a few minutes. Hope this helps,

Old June 27th, 2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Major Player

I see... thanks
Old June 30th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Having just bought some LP-E6N batteries, I charged them and then did a test. I checked the charge of two batteries by putting them in the 6D, which reported 98% charge on both of them.
I put one in the charger and set the other aside as a "control".

I periodically put them back into the camera to check the status. That action will use a little bit of power, so after checking them both about 6 times over the past 56 hours, they are now at 96%. I'll keep it going for a few more days, but so far it looks like the battery won't drain any faster on the charger.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

That's most helpful to know. Many thanks, Mark!

Old June 30th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Trustee

Based on an experience where the battery pack for a cordless drill was ruined (went into a melt-down mode and warped the plastic case) by inadvertently leaving it on the charger, this isn't something I'd do. The problem with the battery actually ruined the charger, too.

Granted, most camera battery packs are smaller mAh-wise, but I'm careful to keep track of my battery charging now and when the indicator shows it has been topped-off (reached full charge) the battery is removed and the charger is turned off.

Your (battery charging) mileage may vary.

Last edited by John Nantz; June 30th, 2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: edit: added that the battery pack was for a cordless drill
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #9
Major Player

After a full week in the charger, the battery is at 94%, same as the battery that was stored out of the charger. I think it's safe to say the battery charger doesn't drain the battery.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks, Mark and thanks guys.
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #11
Wrangler

In general, leaving a Li-Ion battery on the charger after it has reached full charge serves no useful purpose, and if the charger is plugged in wastes energy. It might actually shorten battery life a bit. And depending on the charger design might actually put some drain on the battery when not powered. Similarly long term over charging has been credited with causing some of the NiCad "memory" effect.

The usual advise for long term storage (e.g., for the winter) is to store Li-Ion discharged and then charge before use. Li-Ion technology does not self discharge quickly the way NiCad and NiMH do, so a week later you should still have a nearly full charge if stored off the charger and not in the gear.

On the other hand traditional lead-acid batteries like to be kept on a charger in "float" state.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD