Full HD on Canon EOS 5D Mk. II -- officially announced - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old September 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Here is another views on the Canon 5D Mark II from a professional photographer

Canon 5D Mark II video capture is comparable to $500K pro video equipment? - SlashGear

Vincent Laforet’s Blog
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM   #107
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Sina, your first link is just a blurb which points to your second link.

Your second link has already been posted to this thread by someone else earlier today.

Y'all please follow the course of the discussion and limit your replies to *new* material that hasn't been previously posted -- remember the goal on this site is to try to streamline these threads and keep them as lean as possible. Once is enough for any given link, whether it's internal or external.

I understand that there as those folks who choose not to read the entire thread... and that's fine but please don't add anything unless you're sure that it has not been added before. At least go back and review page or two or three before hitting the reply button. I really appreciate your cooperation on this one.

Lean -- direct -- concise -- *non-repetitive.* That's what we're going for here. The more repetitive and circular a discussion thread is, the faster its value diminishes. My apologies for the off-topic post but I don't want us running around in circles with the same material posted over and over again. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Sorry! You're definitely right Chris! . . my big apology for not reading the whole thread before posting those Links, please do delete it if needs be. . Thanks for mentioning.
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM   #109
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Only 12 minutes in High Def, 4GB max is correct.

Tried a few more movie clips on the D90 today, my Canon XH A1 is still safe for now.
The low light performance of the 5DII is reported to be much better than than any of Canon's camcorders, also from Vincent Laforet's blog:

"It produces the best video in low light that I’ve ever seen - at 1080p. A top commercial film editor who who regularly edits RED camera footage - and has seen the raw footage from the 5D MKII - says the 5D MKII is “far superior to the RED camera” in terms of low light performance…"

Remember too this is Canon first 35mm cmos video release. From what we're seen reported so far all of Canon's higher end camcorders will change. Of course the 5DII will have many shortcoming as a fully featured camcorder. But you do get, for free ,the highest quality 35mm DSLR in the deal.

The 5DII 24x36 mm sensor is more than 2 times the size of the red 4K sensor. Canon is using about 1/6 of it's resolution. Is it going to be difficult to realease a product that uses it's full resolution? I very much doubt it.

Sony and Panasonic are presumably coming with this tech too.

Put Red's announcements and comments in this context of the 5DII and 35mm cmos video: The new Red 5K, Red is entering the DSLR market, Red's most important asset is its software. Red is about to be dancing with elephants and they know it.
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #110
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
You're probably correct. Look, I think we're a little harsh on the video. So far, both Canon and Nikon have provided the equivalent of what they provide on P&S cameras. Many DSLR users resist this new feature. Video users will wait for an entirely new set of features before using it. Very few video users will trade their primary camcorder for these DSLRs, so I can see why Canon and Nikon didn't delay the introduction of their 1.0 feature set. I bet 2.0 is under development. It may also be the case that given the size of the software, it may not be possible to keep both an SLR program and a robust camcorder program in the camera at one time. They may have to increase the internal memory size. Note that many prosumer P&S cameras and many video camcorders (notably every prosumer Sony) requires you to restart the camera to switch between Video Player and Camcorder modes. Personally, I've always found this to be a nuisance.

The significance is not the the general usefullness but the core technology and image quality, especially in low to very low light. The simple fact that Canon's camera division releases a $2600 DSLR and exclipses the XL H1 in IQ means that big changes are about to happen.

3 CCD comcorders are about to become oldschool.
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM   #111
Regular Crew

I understand the enthusiasm, I also have it, but the CMOS rolling shutter effect is clearly visible, and this waving effect seems to be very hard to eliminate in post

its sad, so close to get it!
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Photographer's Report on Video with new Canon DSLR

I had a photographer friend send me this link today.

Interested to hear the evaluations from those who shoot HD and/or are using 35mm adapters. What more does this camera need to work for you?

jones
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM   #113
Major Player

I don't know how many videographer will be purchasing this camera. I could see the photographers at stillmotion finding a use for this camera since the photographers and videographers are from the same company. I think if videographers started bringing still equipment with them the photographers would get pretty upset with us.

Ok so I that paragraph doesn't make sense. But what I was trying to say is I don't know how we could use still photo equipment that shoots video where photographers are present. They may feel like we are stepping on their domain. Another thing is they mention how they think this camera will out perform any $100k plus video camera and I doubt that is true at all. Again, I can see some uses for it, but I think what we really need to be excited for here is the fact that Canon may start to bring some of this technology to video cameras. Large sensor size EOS mounts and card based recording. Hopefully though in a video form factor.

That would be helpful for our event video industry. I do believe the low light function of this camera brought into the Canon line of video cameras would greatly improve the quality of our work with less powerful lights that distract the wedding goers. As well as the ability to get more DoF to help us tell our stories.
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM   #114
Major Player

I haven't seen any evidence of this waving effect with this 5dII (yet?)

However the thought has crossed my mind as to why the official canon samples have zero camera movement, except for the fisheye city shot panning very, very slowly.
Im hoping it doesn't exist.
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM   #115
Major Player

What exactly is the CMOS rolling shutter effect? Does that mean, whenever the camera pans, or moves, it causes "strobing", or "ghosting", whatever you want to call it. I was about to buy the xh-a1, but now... I might have to get this instead. Man, this is crazy.
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM   #116
Major Player

well That article does state something silly, to say that it will produce the same video as a 100k camera which I think is a bit of overstatement. I have seen the D90 footage (Flowers by D90 on Vimeo) and there is rolling shutter galore so if its anything like that there wouldn't be much point as it would be only good for static camera shots, I have yet to see some paning/moving footage to make a real judgement, on the article there is a comment with a link to a video which is a locked down shot and there is still artefacts.

Also the physical shape of a still camera is not that great for shooting video. Just like we can shoot stills with our HD cams doesn't mean we now use that for taking photos even if the camera were as good quality as a DSLR, for example the Scarlet will be only $3k and I am sure still frames from that would be up there with expensive DSLRs if its anything like the RED shots I've seen but still its developed to capture motion not stills. Simply put get the right tool for the job.
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM   #117
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
What exactly is the CMOS rolling shutter effect?
Start here: "rolling shutter" - Google Search of DV Info Net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM   #118
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Even going through the countless results I find its many people talking about their problems with it and what cameras have it and what cameras don't. I still don't know what it is.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM   #119
Major Player

I went back and read through the entire thread and found out what it is (sorry for making this thread fatter, Chris). Louis, here's a good example of it: Video of Nikon D90 Wobble Test - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That's what I thought it was... Let's hope the the 5dII doesn't do this! My brain is trying to digest all this information. This is nuts! Just when I thought being a filmmaker was getting easy and I had the best set-up... btw, my friends who shoot professional wedding photography are drooling all over this.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM   #120
Trustee

How many would be EOS 5D Mk.II 1080p creations will find an audience by ignoring 5 million Blu-ray players? 30p isn't going to cut it. It isn't supported. Not having manual controls doesn't cut it either.

Despite it's large format sensor, when it's viewed on 1080p HDTV monitors, it has resolution no better. Being able to use DSLR lenses is neat. But nobody looking at the images knows what difference that makes.

So it comes down to two things, depth of field and low light, both of which are easily managed now without DSLRs.

What it all means, is the EOS 5D Mk.II will make obsolete HD video cams when phone cams replace DSLRs. There are probably some people who think that will happen, but if the photographer hired for your wedding is using a cell phone cam, I wouldn't be ordering extra prints.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD