Full HD on Canon EOS 5D Mk. II -- officially announced - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #61
Major Player

What I find extremely interesting about this camera is that Canon is telegraphing quite clearly that they have all the next generation technical assets in place - especially the sensor and hardware codec, to meet the upcoming challenge of Scarlet and even perhaps higher up the food chain as well.

This sensor and 38(!) Mbps AVCHD codec may be appearing for the first time in a DSLR, but I would be shocked if they don't reappear in video camera form in the not to distant future.

Something(s) for NAB 2009 to steal a bit of Red Digitals thunder, perhaps?
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Call View Post
Also this has real-time histograms in realtime.
Zebras still important but less crucial with real-time histograms. I'd like to see some improvements in zebras stripes: represent each display pixel with a color-coded luminence value. This would be like an audio level meter (green-yellow-red) but with more values in the 2D representation.

Now that LiveView is more than a novelty, I'd like to see more focusing aids such as a version of peaking: showing sharpest area of image instead of just above a certain level of sharpness. Another would be expanded view with picture in picture (PIP): The Expanded view would be the large part while the whole seen would be PIP.
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #63
Space Hipster

FYI. Prolost agrees with those that think Canon fumbled by not including 24p:

ProLost: So Close Canon
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #64
Obstreperous Rex

That's a filmmaker's perspective so it's not surprising.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #65
Major Player

sample clips

PDNPulse: Canon 5D Mark II Sample Video Clips

There are sample video clips from the 5dmII on Canon's Korean site. The link above is from PDN which has the links to the clips.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #66
Major Player

This can still be got over ebay from a Japanese store. However, its a 10 megapixel sensor on a 1/2.3" sensor. The pixel size will be pretty small with the DOF not much more than a HV20 or its siblings..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connor View Post
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #67
Trustee

Quote:
Judging from the official video samples, it doesn't appear to be cropped.
Okaaaaay. But that means it is scaled instead, with all the artifacts and dodgy processing involved in that process.

Either way, this isn't a free buffet at the Hilton with daughter Paris.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #68
Inner Circle

We need to learn more about how the camera really handles in some tests, but I see this camera as being a great tool for talking heads, internet, steadicam & greenscreen work inplace of using a Letus ect...

I own a 5D, so it is a no brainer for me to sell the 5D and get the mark II.

I will use video cameras when needed, but this is everything people buy 35mm adaptors for, but in a much more compact frame.

It is not going to cure all ills, but definately an interesting tool.

For those like myself who own "L" lenses, this is a great use for them.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #69
Trustee

Tim, please tell me you're from the UK and are using our typical droll humour?!
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #70
Major Player

I too would rather buy a 5D MKII to use with my 4 L lenses than spend nearly twice as much on a Letus Ultimate and still be stuck using the lenses at a fixed aperture. If filming were my full time job, maybe I would make other choices. The new 5D could be a great tool for people who do both still photography and videography, especially nature and landscape work. I could see using the 5D MKII for stock nature photography and videography on the same trip, in a nice lightweight package. Good saleable stock footage is often in clips of 10 to 30 seconds anyway. If you were disciplined about your shots, the camera/card clip length limitations might not be such a big deal. This use of course is not the same as filming an event or making a feature film.

Pat
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
I too would rather buy a 5D MKII to use with my 4 L lenses than spend nearly twice as much on a Letus Ultimate and still be stuck using the lenses at a fixed aperture.
Pat
All of the newer Nikon lenses and many older ones do not include aperture rings. Most seem interested in using these lenses on their 35mm adapters at very wide apertures for dramatically-thin DOF, but setting a good zoom to f/2.8 to f/4 was more useful to me. That's in the range of a pro-level f/2.8 zoom, which is difficult to use without an aperture ring. How do you set the aperture on lenses that don't have an aperture ring?
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #72
Major Player

You set the aperture while the lens is on the camera and the DOF preview button is depressed, and then take it off the camera.

Pat
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
You set the aperture while the lens is on the camera and the DOF preview button is depressed, and then take it off the camera.
Pat
Thanks, I'll give it a try. That helps with my anxiety in selling off my older lenses with aperture rings.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #74
Trustee

It seems like there is no manual exposure or shutter speed control. And it shoots at 30fps, not 29.97.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #75
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Tim, please tell me you're from the UK and are using our typical droll humour?!
Simon, you're going to have to explain as it is tough to get sarcasm over the internet.

If you're saying I am crazy, I don't understand your point.

People are putting these Letus things in front of an existing camera and lens and making Bazooka-like end products just to get shallow DOF.

The full-frame 5D II comes along and shoots 1080p with the capability to get that DOF with only the intended lenses, and there is some kind of problem with this?

So I can run sound to my Firepod, no big deal. This would be no different that a "normal" video camera on a tripod for a studio shoot, except you would probably have more dynamic range with the 5D MII.

That's all I am going to say until you can make some better points...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD