Full HD on Canon EOS 5D Mk. II -- officially announced - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM   #136
Regular Crew

I see exposure shifting in the demo videos. You'd think they would have some way to lock exposure wouldn't you? You'd also think if they HAD that ability that Canon would have used it in the official promo videos?

Hmmmmmmm.....

I'd like to shoot a low budget feature with this camera.... if it can be pulled off. This would have to be a better solution than a Sony EX1 with a Letus.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM   #137
Trustee

You could shoot a low budget film with this camera and indeed the Nikon D90, but I think it would be like running a thee leg marathon race. i.e. its fun to do for a short distance but anything longer will be a handicap.

From my short experience with the D90, I would not be tempted to use the movie feature for anything other than my children on the beach, which I suppose was the intention for this feature. The Canon may (probably) be better, but to expect in focus High Definition quality footage could be a tall order.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM   #138
Regular Crew

A live view coming out of the HDMI port would help a lot... guess we'll see.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM   #139
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I see that as a Blu-ray problem... which in my opinion the Blu-ray consortium really needs to fix.
No problem. BluRay will have a short life, mostly because the difference between DVD and BluRay is not obvious all of the time. Early authors have been eliminated by the expense of BD-Rs, expense of burners, and lack of BD-R support of every non-PS3 BluRay player. The slow release rate of BluRay movies reflects the rental and purchase market -> small. More than half of the BluRay library is slow-selling transfers from films, and they are barely high definition to my eyes.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM   #140
Major Player

it appears that this camera shoots 1080i not 1080p.... bummer.

Canon 5D MKII Pre-Preview Report

Michael does know the difference as he owns a sony ex1 and has many years of video experience. I'm hoping he has made an error.... but I doubt it.

good news is that he did not notice any rolling shutter....
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #141
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz View Post
I'm hoping he has made an error...
He has made at least one error:

"Nikon with their D90... shoots 720 30P, in others words 1280 X720 progressive at 30 FPS."

As we all know, the Nikon D90 shoots 24p, not 30p.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #142
Inner Circle

-"Meanwhile Canon shoots video in the 5DMKII using 1080i HD standard at 30 FPS. This is the top 1920 X 1080 resolution, roughly twice the resolution of 720P"

Well I would disagree with this statement from his article.

1080p would be the top 1920x1080 resolution.

-"You can set the ISO beforehand but not the exposure, other than via a plus / minus exposure compensation adjustment available via the rear wheel control. There also doesn't appear to be any way to control exposure in video mode (other than the aperture (+ / -) wheel), because exposure control appears to be allocated to stills mode."

This sounds like the video mode will be as one would expect from a still camera, not a like video camera.

Looks like it was too good to be true. :(

I don't see much use for auto exposure in the kind of work video folks do.

But I will still hope until after the full reviews come out...
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #143
Major Player

well, I've searched the web and the only mention of I or P is micheal... Even canon leaves out whether it's I or P.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM   #144
Major Player

Well Michael has captured the footage into fcp and converted to aic - sounds like he might be right.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Quote:
When this brief review was first written in early September I was under the impression that the 5D MKII shot 1080i video. Since I left for a shoot in Africa just a day or so later it was not until I returned on Sept 22 that I discovered that in fact it shoots 1080P. All the better.

I apologize to those that read this during the first few hours that it was online for the incorrect information.
Article has been fixed.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #146
Major Player

Framerate still sucks for me.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #147
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I don't see much use for auto exposure in the kind of work video folks do.
Many have written that you can lock the exposure after setting it, but you don't have specific control over the settings. With lenses that have an aperture ring, you can manually lock the aperture, but then how is shutter speed controlled? These video modes will improve in the future.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM   #148
Major Player

"Article has been fixed."

praise cheeses!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM   #149
Major Player

Do you guys not read? in my previous post it states that if you use a Nikon lens on an adapter to EOS you can get manual aperture control after exposure lock, isn't that what we all wanted? Also most 35mm adapter guys already use Nikon glass anyways. Even better with the EOS mount you can also use Leica, Contax, Pentax and other glass with adapters too.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #150
Major Player

I haven't found it, but I know there is a thread about having to pay all sorts of fees if you are shooting professional video in the U.S. National Parks, but NOT if you are shooting stills.

<snicker>

How are the N.P. law enforcement zealots going to enforce that nonsense with a camera like this?

<snicker>
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD