Full HD on Canon EOS 5D Mk. II -- officially announced - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM   #166
Trustee

Disagree that a wide assortment of glass would be needed. The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and 2x canon extender would be a pretty decent kit. This is top of the line L-glass that could be had new for around $3K.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM   #167
Regular Crew

One other thing.
On Luminous landscape it mentioned that the 5DII would do over 47bits.
It seems on dpreview it was said it would do 35bits.

35bits is better than hdv's 25bit for sure.
going over 47 should give you good footage for choma key.

It could be they are both right...
Maybe it is that the camera can do 47bits, but the cards are at 35bits?

Anyone got any info/input in regards to this?
That would be great to have some 50bit footage that is good for pulling a good key.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
And again, that heating bit...wonder if that is what was really going on at the end of 12 minutes and if so what the time frame is before you can start shooting again.

My only issue with the heating issue, is that if you use this thing regularly and push it in terms of video...maybe you risk burning out the processor. Question is how robust this will be for heavy use.

Also, Im being optimistic saying this, if its not a heating issue and just a limit in the recording media...then as media goes higher you can record longer. (Just saw the new 100gb cards at dpreview. Its 35bits per second though...so you wouldnt get close to the 50bit for pulling chroma key...at least not with those cards.)
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM   #168
Regular Crew

Everything is still a mystery, so I could be wrong. However, I do believe the 12 minutes at one time recording is probably due to the fact that files can be no bigger than 4GB on a FAT32 formatted drive. Somebody have a calculator? Mine says that could be the case if the video is around 40 mbps.

I'm sure Vincent probably shot pretty heavily with it, I'm assuming he would have reported any heat issues.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #169
Regular Crew

record time due to taxes

CCDs overheat, CMOS not like that, you could rec for much longer.

The limit in record time is to avoid be considered a "video recorder", and therefore another kind of taxes (at least in the EU) will be applied to it. the same happens to many other devices.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #170
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Disagree that a wide assortment of glass would be needed. The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and 2x canon extender would be a pretty decent kit. This is top of the line L-glass that could be had new for around $3K.
if one is going for shallow depth of field ( why else use this camera ) then f4 ain't gonna cut it.

The cream of the crop from canon for SDOF are...200 f1.8, 100 f2, 85 f1.2, 50 f1.2 & f1.4, 35 f1.4, 24 f1.4

with the exception of the 50 1,4.... all over $1G
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM   #171
New Boot

How about a handle

Now what I would like to see for 5D Mark II is this:

A handle that is attached to the tripod socket, then extends upwards so you get a grip just above the flash mount..... and the handle should then be extendable forward ...
in order to get it balanced in relation to the lens you use....

Then, this is mandatory... I want to be able to attach an exernal display, on that handle which are to be connected to the HDMI port... (is this possible at all (anyone)?, and hopefully it should then be possible to turn off the built in display in order to save some power.... and if possible/needed maybe an external display running on its own batteries....

Then at last I would like some optional mic clamps on either side of the handle as well as an optional socket for an XLR-BP professional box (or similar) on the handle.....

Could someone here please make a render of such handle and send it ASAP to Canon.
Or eventually just make it ...

How do you use this puppy in video mode while running/walking or standing still and holding it away from your eyes (above/below/left/right) anyway?

Or is Canon soon to release the 5Dfdh Mark II where the f stands for flippable display with a handle?
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM   #172
Major Player

I'm just shocked at how the 5DII looks when cut inro the Laforet XH A1 footage. (I'm looking at 720p, don't see the 1080p.) I would expect to be more shocked at 1080p.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #173
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Coll View Post
record time due to taxes... The limit in record time is to avoid be considered a "video recorder", and therefore another kind of taxes (at least in the EU) will be applied to it.
Sorry but that's incorrect, as demonstrated here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/929807-post172.html (from our Nikon D90 discussion thread). The referenced CNEN tax limit applies to devices which record 30 minute clips or more, and this is not the case with the Canon 5D Mk. II or the Nikon D90.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM   #174
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz View Post
if you look as his lenses used you will see that there is about $20,000 of lenses there....
Wow, yeah. LOL! I don't think my discretionary spending goes this high!

As already alluded to - Maybe not all this glass is needed for sufficiently good results. For my reasons, the Low Light performance in 1080p is my only interest (plus having a much better SLR than the Rebel XTi I have now) and maybe shallow DOF for specific scenarios (I am no budding filmmaker). I already have the 50mm/f1.2 Canon lens. Yeah it's a cheap lens (and I am sure the lens itch will hit after I get this - LOL) but with an unsubstantiated opinion based on what I have seen up to this point, I'm feeling like this lens + the MKII will outperform any Prosumer and lower HDCam on the market today. Again, this is using the low light performance criteria only!

I wonder how well it could capture something like fireworks? I never see fireworks on video look any decent at all except for the Pro cams for television shows. For example the 4th celebration in Washington DC on PBS.

Exciting stuff . . .
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM   #175
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Sorry but that's incorrect, as demonstrated here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/929807-post172.html (from our Nikon D90 discussion thread). The referenced CNEN tax limit applies to devices which record 30 minute clips or more, and this is not the case with the Canon 5D Mk. II or the Nikon D90.
So taxes on video cameras are different than on still cameras?
I was hoping to keep this simple for my little mind. lol

As far as I understood it, in Hungary (EU) all electronics here are 20% tax.
Have no clue if there are different additional things (fees)...nor how to find out. (Wrote the Hungarians who are supposed to know and never heard back.)

I have considered buying quite a few things through B&H photo, as the price, by the time you pay for the tax and the mark up (especially the mark up) in the Hungarian stores...it is much cheaper to get it from them, even with the 20% tax.

The only thing I know you cant get is the Nikon from them overseas because of NIkons rules. Canon, warranty...who cares, with the mark up here it would still be cheaper to get it there and fix it here if needed.

Anyway...havent made any purchases from B&H yet...still sorting through what it is I actually need to buy.
But...if anyone from Hungary...(or other E.U. states) have ordered video/camera equipment through B&H, would love to know how it went. - I know there a good store...just more concerned about how things are treated as it crosse the border.

Peace

dAlen
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM   #176
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Coll View Post
CCDs overheat, CMOS not like that, you could rec for much longer.
I wonder how limited, or unlimited it is if you hook it up to a computer with the HDMI chord and record that way. (not saying that is optimal...just curious.) Guess one thing is that macs dont have HDMI...and you would need probably a G raid system for that. (but then again its already compressed video coming out...)

Peace

dAlen
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #177
Trustee

I am sure you could hook up a HDMI cord to the camera and shoot your video direct to a computer, but doesn't that defeat the object of having a small portable camera?

Regarding taxes, the extra tax for full video capability would be an extra 13%. I am sure that most pros wouldn't mind paying this. The 4GB limitation for windows is a small factor, however that is not the true reason for the 12 minute limitation or 5 minutes for the D90.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #178
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I am sure you could hook up a HDMI cord to the camera and shoot your video direct to a computer, but doesn't that defeat the object of having a small portable camera?
I don't even think we know if this is possible yet. A "live" feed coming out of the HDMI port while recording is yet to be confirmed. It would definitely be nice though!!!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #179
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post

Regarding taxes, the extra tax for full video capability would be an extra 13%. I am sure that most pros wouldn't mind paying this. The 4GB limitation for windows is a smnall factor, however that is not the true reason for the 12 minute limitation or 5 minutes for the D90.
Just to make sure I understand you correctly.
I would pay Hungarys 20% electronic tax and then the E.U.s 13% video tax?
Whoo thats getting up there. :)

But its good to know. Maybe a plane ticket to the states is cheaper... :)

Peace

dAlen
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM   #180
Regular Crew

Sandisk released 45bit cards today it appears. (16gb and 32gb.)
This sounds good.

If what Michael said at Luminous Landscape is true, that this camera can do over 47bits...then this is a bit of a step up from HDVs 25bit. (and better than the initial 35bit that I saw at dpreview...suppose based on cards that were already out.)

The main issue will be the editing of compressed material.
Not lossless...have read some peoples concern about this as well.

Would love to see full HD footage from this camera side by side with something that uses an uncompressed workflow and then is compressed. (Dont have the equipment to view such a test...but would be cool to hear what other experience.) Main point is how acceptable this will be for paid work. ;)

peace

dAlen

edit: seems its only the 16gb card that is 45bits.
Oh well...wonder how long that will last. :)

It seems that the 32gb card is being advertised for the new canon 5DII.
Says it can store an hour and half of full HD video. Now that is cool. Does this mean the time is up now from 12 minutes to an hour and half...or will there be a pause and heat issue.

Last edited by Dalen Johnson; September 23rd, 2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: 16gb only at 45bit
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD