Full HD on Canon EOS 5D Mk. II -- officially announced - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM   #181
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalen Johnson View Post
edit: seems its only the 16gb card that is 45bits.
Oh well...wonder how long that will last. :)
these are 45 MegaBYTES per second - the 5DmII video is somewhere in the range of 35-35 MegaBITS per second, which is only about 4.5-5.5 megabytes/second. Even sandisk's Ultra II line has write speeds that are close to twice what the 5DmII needs.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #182
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz View Post
The cream of the crop from canon for SDOF are...200 f1.8, 100 f2, 85 f1.2, 50 f1.2 & f1.4, 35 f1.4, 24 f1.4

with the exception of the 50 1,4.... all over $1G
The 100/2 is $350, not over a grand.

And you don't need $20,000 in lens. The 35/2 is $200. The 50/1.4 is $300. And the 85/1.8 is $350. All great lenses that are close to the L primes in quality and as good or better than the L zooms.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM   #183
Regular Crew

Red Scarlet Response?

Camcorders: Red Scarlet Cam Replaced With a "New Vision"
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM   #184
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Nathaniel, Scarlet isn't being replaced; it's being redesigned. At any rate we already have a dedicated discussion thread for that topic -- please refer to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/red-digit...-changing.html for anything related to Scarlet's redesign in order to keep this 5D Mk. II discussion thread on topic. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:23 PM   #185
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sorensen View Post
The 100/2 is $350, not over a grand.

And you don't need $20,000 in lens. The 35/2 is $200. The 50/1.4 is $300. And the 85/1.8 is $350. All great lenses that are close to the L primes in quality and as good or better than the L zooms.
sorry... I meant the 135 f2.....

I got rid of my 50 1.4 ( my copy was crap ), and 85 1.8 as I did not think they were as good as my 50 1.2 and 85 1.2..... never had a 35 f2... but my 35 1.4 is fantastic.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:41 PM   #186
Regular Crew

And the video has been released....

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample Video: EOS 5D Mark II
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #187
Obstreperous Rex

Aaron, that link has already been posted:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/941285-post153.html

See our guidelines for posting links to this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/940489-post107.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM   #188
Starway Pictures

Even though there's only 30P option for frame rates, I can't help but find myself extremely giddy with this new camera. I desparately want one now. Not for filmmaking or narrative work. But I love take photojournal vacations. And I usually want a still camera and an HD camera. Problem with HD cameras is that the one's I want to use are usually too big to lug around on a vacation. And the "toy" HD cameras just to have the robustness I want.

The 5D MarkII is exactly what I wanted. A bitchin' still camera with a bitchin' HD video feature.

But that's not what I'm giddy about. I'm giddy because I think this ties into what I was talking about in another thread. I think there a several hints at what Canon may be proposing for future HD cameras (a possible XL replacement). Well, at least I hope it's providing hints. Also, I think Canon keeping the camera locked into 30P with no other frame rate options is a testament to that theory...save 24P for something coming at NAB.

Oh, pretty please, pretty please!!!!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #189
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
these are 45 MegaBYTES per second - the 5DmII video is somewhere in the range of 35-35 MegaBITS per second, which is only about 4.5-5.5 megabytes/second. Even sandisk's Ultra II line has write speeds that are close to twice what the 5DmII needs.
I dont get it...Michael at Luminous landscape said it was over 47 (the 5DII).
Dpreview said 35.

So between the two numbers thats how I came up with my theory...but now there is the bytes vs. bits. (Im confused now.)

Anyway... :)

Peace

dAlen
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #190
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalen Johnson View Post
I dont get it...Michael at Luminous landscape said it was over 47 (the 5DII).
Dpreview said 35.

So between the two numbers thats how I came up with my theory...but now there is the bytes vs. bits. (Im confused now.)
there are 8 bits in a byte. as far as I know, a bit is the singular data unit (one 1 or 0) but that is just too impractical for many applications in todays computing world so we often use Bytes. most storage companies use bytes while the video world uses bits because it makes their stuff look more impressive. their marketing guys are hoping that you dont know the difference between Mb and MB.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #191
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Gigliagi View Post
........... as far as I know, a bit is the singular data unit (one 1 or 0) but that is just too impractical for many applications in todays computing world so we often use Bytes. most storage companies use bytes while the video world uses bits because it makes their stuff look more impressive.
OK, a bit is indeed a 1 or 0, a single "bit" of data.

A byte is normally taken as 8 bits, so can have any of 2 to the power 8 values (256). Typically, a byte may represent a single character of text (letters, capitals, numbers, symbols etc) or the level of a video single. (One byte for luminace, another two for colour.)

Take each a million at a time (actually 1028x1028) and you get Megabits (Mb) and Megabytes (MB) - note the significance of whether it's a capital or small "B".

Those relate to capacity, when we talk of speed there are Megabits/second (Mbs) and Megabytes/second (MBs), and obviously one 1MBs will be eight times as fast as 1Mbs.

Very often, capacity is more normally spoken of in terms of MB (MegaBYTES), whilst speed is more normally referred to in terms of Mbs (MegaBITS/second), and there are valid reasons why.

A good rule of thumb to remember is that at a data rate of 100Mbs, 1GB corresponds to roughly 1 minute. Hence, at the (roughly) 35Mbs we're talking about for this camera, a 16GB card will hold about 45 minutes.

When speeds are used in relation to cards, they show the MAXIMUM speeds which the cards can transfer data. Whether or not they will make it depends on a lot of other things, how fast a computer system, what connection system etc. But theoretically, a 45MBs rated card is well over ten times faster than the speed of the data from the camera.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #192
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
(actually 1028x1028)
Actually 1024 x 1024.
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #193
Regular Crew

how will the Mark II change a wedding videographer industry? When a photographer will offer the clients both photos and video as a package?
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #194
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hill View Post
Actually 1024 x 1024.
My apologies!
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #195
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hill View Post
Actually 1024 x 1024.
Actually, a megabyte was officially redefined as exactly one million bytes in December 1998, and the new term "mebibyte" was created to describe the original binary definition of megabyte. For more details see Mebibyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(I grew up with binary megabytes and Windows still uses them, but the decimal usage is taking over.)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD