DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon 5D Mk II manual, tips, kit box check images (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/136556-canon-5d-mk-ii-manual-tips-kit-box-check-images.html)

Ray Bell October 24th, 2008 09:02 AM

Canon 5D Mk II manual, tips, kit box check images

Canon has posted the operators manual for the 5D Mk II

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

Bill Koehler October 24th, 2008 05:07 PM

I find it interesting that I can find no mention of the frames per second being recorded in movie/Live View mode for either standard or high definition. If someone else can, please let me know what page.

Chris Hurd November 23rd, 2008 11:13 AM

HD / D-SLR (and other cams) oper. manual downloads

Movie mode frame rate is fixed at 30fps...

Download the Canon 5D Mk. II operator's manual at this link:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/030000...mkii-im-en.pdf

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2008 09:39 PM

5D Mk.II kit box check images

8 Attachment(s)
I refuse to shoot an un-boxing video... but a sequence of stills might have value as a reference against which to verify that the proper contents of the 5D Mk.II kit are in place (for North American folks anyway), and have arrived to you in the same manner that they were sent by the manufacturer. So here they are...

1. The retail box for the 5D Mk.II kit with lens (the included lens is the EF 24-105 L IS USM).

2. Upon opening the box, the warranty card will be laying on top, with the product registration cards for the camera body and lens in a cardboard tray on the right.

3. Remove the cardboard tray and the warranty card, and you'll have a large white box on the left, the camera body in a cardboard container in the middle, and product documentation in a slot on the right.

4. The camera body should be snugly secured with bubble wrap... we'll get to the body in a moment. The bubble wrap should be secured by a few pieces of tape; the wrapped package fits snugly into the cardboard compartment.

5. When you remove the documentation package, it's easy to miss the two CDs that are left behind in the cardboard slot. Be sure to pull them out as well. The black one is an electronic version of the software instruction manual, and the white one is the EOS Digital Solution Disk, ver.19.1.

6. The documentation package includes the instruction manual books and pocket guides in English and Spanish, a flyer for the Canon Digital Learning Center, a CD covering Canon EOS Products and Solutions, a flyer advertising the Pixma Pro 900/9500 printers (in English and Spanish), a couple of quick-start guides for the CDs, and a blank piece of paper with a bar code on it (proof or purchase, maybe?).

7. The camera body is double-wrapped, with an outer layer of bubble wrap and a soft foam inner liner bag.

8. The camera body itself, with the body cap covering the lens mount.

Continued below...

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2008 10:49 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Since my previous photos of the retail box were recently appropriated by an opportunist on Ebay, I've had to greatly enlarged the DVi watermark on these particular photos.

1. Withdraw the large white kit box and open it. The lens is on the left; accessories on the right.

2. Included accessories: LC-E6 battery charger, LP-E6 battery, neck strap, AV cable, USB cable.

3. The lens package itself. On top is the lens pouch.

4. Lens and lens hood.

5. All three lens components: pouch, hood and lens.

6. The lens will drop into the pouch easily if the hood is reversed prior to storing it.

7. Check to insure the default settings of the lens are in place: focal length set to full wide at 24mm; IS switch set to on, focus switch set to AF.

8. The battery should show a little bit of a charge right out of the box.

Hope this helps,

Ray Bell December 7th, 2008 08:42 AM

5D Mk.II operating tips (read only - reply via sep. thread)

Canon 5DMKII style adjustments/crushed blacks

For those who wish to further enhance the colors and dynamic range of their 5DMKII
cameras you will want to go to this site, download the optional picture styles and
learn how to tweek the parameters... then upload them to your camera.
You should have no problem correcting the crushed blacks or blown highlights with these instructions... enjoy :-)

Canon : Picture Style

the main page..

Canon : Picture Style

Daniel Lipats December 7th, 2008 01:51 PM

The picture style editor can be downloaded from here:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

I think this is the most exciting feature about the 5D2 video mode. It may be possible to create picture style files to reproduce the look certain film stock.

Matthew Roddy December 9th, 2008 02:45 AM

GOT IT! Good News - and Confusing News

Yayy!
I just picked up my 5DM2 from - of all places - Best Buy! They had ONE within 12 miles! I am tentatively thrilled.
Body only, but I can pick up a lens from Samys or some place on the weekend. I intend on using my Nikon lenses, once I can determine which is the best adapter. (I'm a bit confused on that front, after hearing you can loose infinity focus...)

My quandary is: I very carefully took everything out of the box and was noticing that, "Gee, the packing plant at Canon didn't do a great job." It occurred to me that, "hmmm... Someone's been playing with my camera!" And sure enough, I took the camera out of the final wrapping baggie and there's a nice palm print on the LCD window cover.

I'll definitely let Best Buy know that someone is messing with their expensive merchandise, and I'm not happy about it. I'm the kind of guy who takes EXTREMELY good care of my gear and now I can't attest to the "untainted" nature of the body. If it is not perfect, I can now not just blame myself.
I can get past that, but I just don't know if this is cool, or if I should demand an (*shutter*) exchange.

I welcome all advice. And, thanks in advance!

Josh Chesarek December 9th, 2008 05:50 AM

I would take back an all ready opened item personally. The only time I buy all ready open items is when they are marked with a discount and I know what I am getting into. I would not expect that when I pay full price.

James Miller December 9th, 2008 09:40 AM

Hi Matthew,

I would first check if it has any stuck/dead pixels in a noticeable place as this might be why it has been opened, someone in/at best buy was cherry picking.

Or it's fine and someone just wanted to handle one. My local camera store will open a box for you to look and feel.

Was the clock set for you?

Hope it turns out well.

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2008 10:08 AM

Merged Matthew Roddy's "GOT IT! Good News - and Confusing News" thread with my 5D Mk. II kit box check images, since they are similar topics -- use my photos to determine that your kit contents arrive as originally packaged at the factory.

Matthew Roddy December 9th, 2008 11:28 AM

Thanks for the Move, Chris.
And thank you to those who Replied.
I'll be calling BestBuy at 10AM PST.

Does anyone know if there is a counter or (for lack of a better term) "Drum Time" on the 5DM2? I know on video cameras (my background), you can check head and drum time. Is there a way to see if any actual time was put on my camera's body?

Thank you.

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2008 11:39 AM

If you have not yet charged the battery, you can find out how many exposures have been taken on the current charge... this might give you an idea whether or not someone has used it much before you.

Menu > Settings 3 > Battery Info > Shutter Count

That number resets each time the battery is charged, though.

Matthew Roddy December 12th, 2008 01:51 AM

The happy ending to that story is that the management agreed that no one should have touched the camera before the buyer (me) and they readily exchanged it.
I ALMOST asked if I could keep that one and buy this new one - and sell the "old" one on ebay and make a quick $700.00.
I just couldn't quit bring myself to do that, though.

Chris Hurd January 21st, 2009 05:37 PM

Download the Canon 5D Mk. II white paper:

http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedima...%20II%20WP.pdf