Live View Monitor output size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Live View Monitor output size?

From the manual,

"If you connect the camera to a TV set with an HDMI cable and display the Live View image while shooting a movie at [1920x1080], the image displayed on the TV set will be small.
However, the movie itself will be recorded in the [1920x1080] size as set."

Has anyone out there connected it up to see just how small?
I hope this doesn't mean major problems for Follow Focus operation.
Man, I was really hoping to just plug in an external monitor and go but this may require some kind of scaling to make it big enough to pull focus.

My local Canon dealer is having a show next month so I hope to test it or at least have an answer then.
Douglas Akers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Akers View Post
From the manual,

"If you connect the camera to a TV set with an HDMI cable and display the Live View image while shooting a movie at [1920x1080], the image displayed on the TV set will be small.

This preview reports to have "Live View capture recorded over HDMI" (direct quicktime).

Based on my analysis of this, the live HDMI is approximately 1360x880 image area with controls and metadata surrounding it, inside a 1920x1080 frame.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, thank you.
I saw that at DP Review when it first came out but I thought it was live view during stills capture.
Should be the same I guess....
Looks like I'll need the biggest monitor I can afford.
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Akers View Post
From the manual,

I hope this doesn't mean major problems for Follow Focus operation.
Man, I was really hoping to just plug in an external monitor and go but this may require some kind of scaling to make it big enough to pull focus.

My local Canon dealer is having a show next month so I hope to test it or at least have an answer then.
Wonder if it'll output full uncompressed, if you're viewing via HDMI output, but not recording in camera at the same time?
Thomas Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Horton View Post
Wonder if it'll output full uncompressed, if you're viewing via HDMI output, but not recording in camera at the same time?
Doesn't look like it because the shooting info is always displayed except on playback.
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Major Player

concerning HDMI output: The user manual is online and from what I recall there is not raw output that can be encoded. It's not surprising that Canon would put limits on this model.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
concerning HDMI output: The user manual is online and from what I recall there is not raw output that can be encoded. It's not surprising that Canon would put limits on this model.
Not really surprising to me. They have to protect their future product announcements. NAB maybe? You'd think they would be taking this technology and making a "Digital Cinema" (i.e. Red One) style camera.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Trustee

Still, this is a big deal for this camera (we are talking the Mark II, right?) - b/c looking at that rear view finder will old real fast.

jdv
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD