NON ultimate hypothetical 5d rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NON ultimate hypothetical 5d rig

Ok, so we know what to get to make a truly awesome 5d setup. Now, how about for the budget guys? What matte box, rails, follow focus units will work on the cheap? After all, the 5d may prove to be the extremely small budget filmmaker's choice.

Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Mattebox follow focus+ rail system bundle for Nikon D90 - eBay (item 350117611689 end time Nov-04-08 20:38:22 PST)
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Major Player

If you buy it, please post a review.

As good as the redrock system is, it's hard to look at the individual components and not wince in pain from the markup they have over their direct cost. If DSLR video becomes a big trend I expect prices will fall closer to the range that this ebay seller has listed.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I might later get their matte box that attaches directly to the lens, with out rails, But I would definitely post a review.
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Major Player

It's funny, in the picture on ebay of the guy holding it and turning the focus wheel, the wheel isn't touching the lens gear.

I've used all that stuff before. The mattebox is fine, very light plastic, kind of cheap but will do the trick.
The follow focus works, but feels very loose.
The baseplate and rods are a direct rip off off the redrock one and the quality difference between the two are negligible.
The best thing about the indian stuff are the gears, no difference than the redrock ones really.

If you guys gimme a couple of days I can try my stuff on a 5D and a D90 and post pics.

The best cheap follow focus right now (to me) is the SGPro one. At least until Cinevate drops theirs.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Major Player

cokin with follow?

I've been considering using a Cokin filter/bellows setup with my Canon 5DII. I'm only shooting on a tripod so the shoulder stuff isn't necessary. Then all I would need is some kind of focus following. I hope to avoid rods if possible.

I just tried to find the SGPro mentioned in this thread, but their site is down. Are they still around?

Any other places I can look for budget following, or even home-made? Do all the follow setups require rods or is there something that can mount directly to the camera or tripod?

A stupid question. Can the focus followers be used with zoom? Can you use two at once, one on focus and one on zoom?
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD