The best EF lenses for 5D Mk. II? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #106
Regular Crew

How is the 24mm-105mm 4.0 L IS for video? Too dark?
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #107
Major Player

I'll be shooting with the following lenses this weekend, will let you know what I think.

Canon 15mm Fisheye
Canon 24 F1.4 L USM
Canon 50 F1.4
Canon 85 F1.2 L USM
Canon 100 F2.8 Macro
Canon 200 F2.8L
Canon 300 F2.8L IS
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #108
Inner Circle

Nicholas,

Will you use the untwist, tape or mylar methods of decoupling the lenses, or will you let the camera choose your aperture?

BTW, that's a sweet collection!
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #109
Regular Crew

I'm really interested in seeing how a 90-100mm macro footage holds up without IS handheld and on a tripod.

up to 70mm I heard isn't a big deal, but I did notice it with 85mm lenses, albeit it was bearable.

If 90-100mm macro shots are possible on a tripod/monopod then I'd love to get one.

but that 150mm sigma is also so tempting too. (yes I know that's too far without IS LOL)
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #110
Major Player

Jon, I'm renting them for the weekend along with a 5DMII. I'm going to play around and will see whats the best way to lock aperture, so far I only know about the untwist method from the Vimeo tutorial by Tyler Ginter. I'll have a few hours to figure it out tonight, then I have to shoot.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #111
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna View Post
I'm really interested in seeing how a 90-100mm macro footage holds up without IS handheld and on a tripod.

up to 70mm I heard isn't a big deal, but I did notice it with 85mm lenses, albeit it was bearable.

If 90-100mm macro shots are possible on a tripod/monopod then I'd love to get one.

but that 150mm sigma is also so tempting too. (yes I know that's too far without IS LOL)
@ 90-100 without IS is pretty difficult with just photos, let alone video. should look great on sticks though.
Jordan Oplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Oplinger View Post
@ 90-100 without IS is pretty difficult with just photos, let alone video. should look great on sticks though.
Fancy meetin' you here.

Have you toyed with such lenses.

I'm torn over the 90mm Tamron and the 150 Sigma.

The tamron is cheaper and the wideness would help in live action and double as a portait lens, BUT that sigma is outstanding image wise and 150mm is longer and I'm a sucker for macro, extreme CUs, but may be a specialty lens vs. general purpose...decisions decisions
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #113
DVCreators.Net

DP Review has an Image Gallery up with the specs of which lens was used for each shot. I found it very helpful in examining image quality and choosing my next lens. Canon EOS 5D Mark II Review samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #114
Regular Crew

Does it matter if your lens is AIS or not if you're doing video?

What about if you're doing stills? I might want to shoot some of those, and it'd be nice to get a lens that's best for both.

Thanks.
Joshua Fulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Fulton View Post
Does it matter if your lens is AIS or not if you're doing video?

What about if you're doing stills? I might want to shoot some of those, and it'd be nice to get a lens that's best for both.

Thanks.
Canon IS lenses are still sharp as hell even with IS...

But you really start noticing the jitters at about 85mm...85mm it's subtle, but after a while you start getting a bit nauseated.
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #116
Wrangler

Does anyone know if the 24-105mm kit lens comes with a lens hood? Ordered one and didn't find it listed on the contents description.

Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #117
Sponsor: Westside AV

Yes it does. And it is a great all around lens, get some 77mm ND's and a circ polarizer.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #118
Major Player

24mm f/1.4 II

For what it's worth, I've been shooting 5D2 video for two months now with the 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200 f/4 L IS. But my favorite lens, by far, is the 24mm f/1.4 L II. I really like getting ultra wide angle field of view (that was hard to do on my XH A1) and thin DOF at the same time (thanks to f/1.4). It works really great hand held in low light, and allows me to get very close to the subject (which is great when I don't have an audio engineer, so the microphone is camera-mounted). What I dislike is that the shutter speed is tied to the focal length, so I seem to get something around 1/30 shutter speed most of the time, which I dislike, but don't see anything I can do about that.

Highly recommended.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
...I seem to get something around 1/30 shutter speed most of the time, which I dislike, but don't see anything I can do about that.
There's always the mylar trick. At least you'll be able to get the 1/45-ish setting.
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:51 AM   #120
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
DP Review has an Image Gallery up with the specs of which lens was used for each shot. I found it very helpful in examining image quality and choosing my next lens. Canon EOS 5D Mark II Review samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review
Great link, thanks Guy.

I have the 50mm 1.4 and the 100mm macro.

I think the lens I would buy for shooting is the 24mm 1.4

For the longer lens stuff I would probably use my XHa1/ Letus setup anyways. I love the idea of this small camera with a fast wide lens on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD