My D90/5DmkII rig is ready to roll at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Major Player

My D90/5DmkII rig is ready to roll

After weeks of getting stuff together I think I'm now close to being ready to try my DSLR rig for real. I've been playing with a D90 on it, but hope to have a 5dmkII to test this with it this week.

It's a combination of a Red Rock Micro shoulder support, Cinevate Mattebox, Sennheiser MKE400D and EW100 mics, Stickypod ball and socket, Manhattan LCD monitor, Manfrotto plates, Tekkeon battery, Beachtek DXA-2 and some custom metalwork by BHague in the UK.

Suggestions on how to improve it are greatly appreciated.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
My D90/5DmkII rig is ready to roll-d90rig1.jpg   My D90/5DmkII rig is ready to roll-d90rig2.jpg  

My D90/5DmkII rig is ready to roll-d90rig3.jpg  
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Looks good Dan!

Do you know of the 5D II will let you fully operate the camera manually in video mode?

Or does it put out a live, full rez monitoring feed from the HDMI?

Thanks
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No suggestions for improvements, but I’ve got a 5dmkII on order and have been trying to put together a similar rig, so I’ve got a couple of questions.

Why the Beachtek DXA-2? My assumption is that the DXA-6 would be needed just for the level meters.

Why the Manhattan monitor? I want to keep things a small as possible and have been looking at 7 inch models, whereas the Manhattan is 10.5 inches. But I know nothing about field monitors, so I’m curious why you’ve gone for that model.

Do let us all know how the rig works with the Canon.

Jeremy
Jeremy Nicholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Jeremy,

The DXA2 is mainly for the the D90 and it runs into an edirol r-09 field recorder which has VU meters anyway. I believe Beachtek are working on a version of the DXA with level meters and headphone monitoring especially for the 5dmkII, we'll see. For now I was going to use my Sound Devices MixPre field mixer to do the same thing. Only problem is it is larger and I've not found a way to mount it yet.

I'm going to look at smaller HDMI monitors, but when I was looking there were no other sensible options. I might look at the IKAN now, or hope that Swit bring out a HDMI version of their new small monitors.

Dan
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Very cool. No suggestions, just a couple of thoughts and questions.

A somewhat longer shotgun might be better at rejecting camera noise. Have you considered running audio back to the camera? Perhaps you could run audio to both the camera and external device. If the camera audio worked it would save time in post. If the external was better in some situation that could be used.

Can you comfortably do manual focus on a tripod? How do you feel about shooting outdoors with an EVF?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'd like to know how wide a lens you can use before you start to get your mattebox in frame?
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Nice setup, but I think you should get a follow focus too.

I would love to be able to record to a hard drive over HDMI.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
A somewhat longer shotgun might be better at rejecting camera noise.
What kind of noise would this camera make while recording? I may be wrong, but isn't it silent?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Looks like a nice setup, I certainly wont be able to miss you when I am in Beijing next.

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

no follow focus?
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dan I am very interested to see how you find the skew with panning and fast motion. As for your rig it looks very nice. Maybe some way to organize the cables.
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Dan I am very interested to see how you find the skew with panning and fast motion. As for your rig it looks very nice. Maybe some way to organize the cables.
Skew on the D90 is pretty terrible, there's a bad example about a 1/3rd of the way through this Tibet, six months on: 'There is no freedom here' | World news | guardian.co.uk On the D90 I would try to avoid any rapid camera movements.

Cable organisation is a must, just need to finalize the rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sands View Post
no follow focus?
I'm toying with the idea of the new Cinevate follow focus, the biggest problem is that the amount of time it will take to re-adjust the ff position every time I change lens, which I like to do quite a lot. Incidentally I probably need to move all the audio gear to the back plate when I mount longer lenses anyway. I think the biggest lens I can use with this rig is a 300mm f4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Very cool. No suggestions, just a couple of thoughts and questions.

Good suggestions. A somewhat longer shotgun might be better at rejecting camera noise. Have you considered running audio back to the camera? Perhaps you could run audio to both the camera and external device. If the camera audio worked it would save time in post. If the external was better in some situation that could be used.

Can you comfortably do manual focus on a tripod? How do you feel about shooting outdoors with an EVF?
Good points, I have a Sanken CS-1 but annoyingly it needs power and doesn't work with my Sound devices MixPre (some odd quirk I only found out after buying the mixer), I'm going to look at a Rode NTG when I have time. The camera doesn't make any noise but you will get noise from focussing manually and brushing up against the camera so a better shotgun might help. I'll see. I intend to run audio to both the camera and the Edirol r-09 on a 5dmkII rig.

Manual focus on a tripod is fine, the EVF outdoors is hard to use. I was thinking about a hoodloupe or something similar. Using a monitor is so much easier. As I said before I'm actively looking for a better small HDMI monitor, ideally one I could put something like an oversized ex-1 hoodsock on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I'd like to know how wide a lens you can use before you start to get your mattebox in frame?
From memory I could use a 20mm with the Cinevate mattebox, but I'll check later and get back to you.

Dan
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Dan. Love that rig. Looks like you put a lot of thought into that. To second another poster's question- that shotgun so close to the camera has to pick up some camera noise as the lens servos focus, zoom etc. Have a look at inserting a Bracket 1 Mini into your rig. I believe you'll love it.

As a side note:
Everyone that's got an Manhattan LCD 10.9 there's good news! A user manual is in the works and should be ready for distribution in about 10 days.
Those of you that have figured out the hidden menus using the remote, ought to share their findings here! If you do, I'll pop you a little thank you via PP ;)

Speaking of monitors, the 10.9 shown in Dan's great pics is lighter than it appears. the outer casing is ABS which is lighter than the T6 aluminum used in my DIY enclosures for the same internals. I highly recommend either and over the camera, below the camera (yes. below) or a BALANCED left or right mounting. These monitors are not heavy but they are a bit unwieldy.
Great to hear Beachtek has a new XLR box in the works, but what is the audio capture quality of the 5D Mk II ?
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #14
Trustee

Looks awesome - hope you can get nice results from it. I'd think that most "normal" people would think it's a pro set-up...

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Dan. Since you use the Tekkeon MP3450 battery, you might appreciate a box that I designed for it and fabricated by the BEC group.
BEC-TEK-01 Tekkeon Battery Caddy
It can mount anywhere directly or via an intermediate plate (1/4-20) battery just slides in and out securely.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD