5DmkII quick review - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #31
Major Player

Josh,

Here is the flicker video as promised YouTube - 5dmkII flicker.mov

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM   #32
Major Player

I enjoyed the video so much I forgot to look at it technically.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Ouch, that is a lot of flicker. I hope the next generation of video-capable DSLRs will borrow some technology from their camcorder siblings to reduce that effect.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #34
Major Player

Thanks Don, praise indeed.

Daniel, that is a worst case flicker example. Most of the time it worked just fine, I'll keep an eye on it for sure though.

Dan
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Excellent stuff... Dan. Blacks do seem crushed still, even after the steps you took. Regardless though, these images are great and every now and then this camera hits a shot and it's "golden," like the profile of the man drawing the face.

Looks like I need to hit up eBay and start looking for old manual Nikon lenses.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for posting that Dan! Great job, it looks terrific. The video is so incredibly clean that it's plain to see we're witnessing a new dawn of low-light videography. Of course one starts to also understand why Canon is crushing the blacks -- it makes it even cleaner, getting rid of potentially noisy shadow detail.

For the earlier commenter, to be filmlike you would WANT to shoot at 1/60 if going for a filmic look -- for 30p, that would be the equivalent of a motion picture camera's 180-degree shutter. 1/30 is equiv to 360-degree shutter and is one of the reason 5d footage to date looks so much like video -- 1/60 30p will look a lot more like 1/48 24p than 1/30 30p.

Here's to hoping someone hacks this thing. No one's hacked a DIGIC IV yet, though:

For Developers - CHDK Wiki
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
You can lock exposure with adapted Nikon lenses the same as Canon EF ones.
Dan, thank you for reporting to us on your findings. What kind of adaptation do you mean, here?
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Josh,

Here is the flicker video as promised YouTube - 5dmkII flicker.mov

Dan
Very much appreciated Dan. That does look nasty, but as you point out, a worst case example.

Love your footage of Beijing. Gave me a real sense of being there, I could almost taste the air.

Another question if you have a chance - clearly for video the 5d is going to require work-arounds and will be of limited use for some applications; equally clearly it has massive low-light and DOF control advantages. But as an experienced EX1/3 user, what are your initial impressions of the resolution / colour rendition / and latitude of the footage you are seeing?

And are you having any luck stretching the blacks and desaturating the colours?

You're doing everyone an excellent service Dan! Thanks, Josh
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sandel View Post
Dan, thank you for reporting to us on your findings. What kind of adaptation do you mean, here?
I believe Dan is referring to simple adapters that allow you to connect Nikkors etc to EOS lens mount. These can be bought very cheaply online (under $30). This means you can mount manual Nikon AIS lens to the 5D Mkii with no optical quality loss, and they retain metering information. This is cool because old Nikkors can be obtained cheaply, they have great optics, and manual aperture dials (unlike EOS lens).

In other words, no physical adaptation of the lens itself is necessary, just a cheap adapter between lens and body.
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #40
Major Player

Ryan,

I would like to be able to force the camera to a 1/60th but I can't really see how easily in uncontrolled light conditions.

Josh,

I'm going to hold off on making a judgement on how 5DmkII footage compares to that of the Sony EX until I've had more time to test it. Initial impressions are that the EX still give more lattitude and a crisper image but I reserve the right to amend that assesement.

Yes the adapters are nothing more than Nikon or Contax to EF adapters. For Nikon G lenses you need these Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter

Dan
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #41
Major Player

Thanks Dan,

A little off topic, but I did a little scan through your work for the Guardian - you do an amazing job, at times in immensely traumatic conditions; I imagine you must see a lot more (and live a lot more) each year than some of us do in a lifetime.

I'm glad you're taking a little time out to keep us all posted on your new toy,

Josh
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #42
Major Player

Dan,

Great footage you really captured the night atmosphere of Beijing. Did you find that you attracted less attention on the streets by using a still camera against a video camera. I normally have found that a video camera attracts a lot of on-lookers

I was surprised that you did not have more 50Hz flicker from the fluorescent lights but maybe with large banks of fluro they are on different phases so maybe that has helped cancel out the flicker effect
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #43
HDV Cinema

Dan, just wonderful footage and a really great job of editing.

Beijing looks so different than it did in the mid `80s when I was working there. Wow!

I watched the Nikon night footage and I was not horrified as I expected to be given the negative comments on the Nikon. I could almost see the extra noise as film grain.

I sense we are on the verge of sea change, much like when DV arrived.

PS: Since I can't afford the Canon or the Nikon (I think) I'm seriously looking at trying the Casio EX-F1. What I like about it, compared to any $1000 camcorder, is its manual focus lens-ring, a power zoom level (to zoom-in fast to get focus) and a button that locks exposure. (Or, locks both AE and AF.) As long as everything stays constant during each shot, I can use the Media Composer CC that has the ability to create gamma curves to "fix" most exposure errors (if they occur).
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #44
Major Player

Most Contax (Zeiss) lenses will also work on a 5D via adapter. Many Olympus lenses fit too. My daytime lineup for video is looking like:

14-24mm Nikon with special adapter (G Nikon have no aperture ring)
35-70mm Contax with dumb adapter
70-200mm Canon, taped if necessary

It's rather bizarre that Canon has designed a camera that encourages users to buy Nikon glass.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #45
Major Player

I would be interested in seeing a typical histogram of night shots out of the camera. Also, any 1080p torrent files?
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD