DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5DmkII manual lens aperture control video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/138471-5dmkii-manual-lens-aperture-control-video.html)

Dan Chung November 26th, 2008 05:41 AM

5DmkII manual lens aperture control video

I've just posted a video showing how a Nikon lens with a manual iris gives full control of aperture after you lock exposure on the Canon Eos5DmkII.

Eos5DmkII with Nikon Manual lens aperture control test on Vimeo

There is just no way to do this at speed with an EF lens.

Dan

Mark Williams November 26th, 2008 06:19 AM

Looks like it works. What type/brand adaptor were you using to mount the Nikon lens.

Dan Chung November 26th, 2008 06:22 AM

That was a cheap no name chinese one. I would try ebay. For Nikon G lenses you need the 16:9 | Photographic Resources & Lens Tests adapter.

Dan

John Sandel November 26th, 2008 02:56 PM

Deeelight.

Matthew Roddy November 27th, 2008 12:48 AM

I currently own a RedRock Micro M2 system. I purchased a few Nikon lenses for that, so hearing that I can likely use those on the Canon body is exciting.
Are special lenses needed, or will just about any Nikon lens work - they're supposed to have not changed the mount in MANY years, right?

Please pardon the novice questions:

These are older lenses, all with full, real aperture rings. I won't be able to get exposure from the Canon, right? I'll have to either use a light meter, or snap a shot and adjust accordingly?

Same thing with focus, I assume.

And, since these are older lenses I don't need to consider the "G" adapter, I assume.

And, last, another assumption on my part, but since these are all older glass and made for 35mm film, are they good enough for the ultra-high-resolution of the 5DMII? I would think so, but maybe not.

I wanted the PLs or even the Zeiss lenses, but I'm not currently making money on that rig, so I couldn't justify it.

Thank you for all clarifying advice (and if I should have taken this into a new thread, I apologize - please feel free to move it at your discretion).

John Hyland April 30th, 2009 07:06 PM

Novoflex

Is anyone using the Novoflex Lens Mount Adapter for Nikon lens to Canon.
Sorry if this is covered in another thread.

Novoflex Nikon Lens to Canon EOS Body Adapter

Chris Barcellos April 30th, 2009 07:29 PM

JOhn. I don't know what Novaflex runs, but I bought five adapter on Ebay for $16 each. (They were actually 8, but they charge a flat $ 8 each for shipping no matter how many you buy. So I just figure $16 each. I went this way because others said you want an adapter on each lens, cause it can be a pain to switch. I have to agree with that assessment.

Nigel Barker April 30th, 2009 11:48 PM

That Novoflex adapter is apparently $200. It looks nice but not that nice. I too got the $16 Kawa adaptors ($7.99 + $8.01 shipping) which actually cost me $20 ($7.99 + $12.01 shipping to France). I have either saved $100 on 5 adaptors for my 5 Nikon lenses or $900 depending on how you calculate it.

Dan Brockett May 1st, 2009 08:58 AM

Nigel:

I am ordering four of those today. If you get yours first, let us know how they work and if you like them. Someone over on DVX User said that he had the original adapters that the same vendor was selling from a few months ago and he recently just ordered these new ones, the same ones we did and he said that the aperture reading tab on the AI and AID lenses now hits the ring, so that you have to file away or remove the aperture tab. The tab removes with two small screws so I think I will just be removing mine and saving it, in case I ever want to sell my AI lenses.

Dan

Nigel Barker May 1st, 2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1135972)
I am ordering four of those today. If you get yours first, let us know how they work and if you like them. Someone over on DVX User said that he had the original adapters that the same vendor was selling from a few months ago and he recently just ordered these new ones, the same ones we did and he said that the aperture reading tab on the AI and AID lenses now hits the ring, so that you have to file away or remove the aperture tab. The tab removes with two small screws so I think I will just be removing mine and saving it, in case I ever want to sell my AI lenses.

Dan

I already have my adaptors. I actually bought adaptors from two separate suppliers, one in the US & the other in China. The adaptors are identical & they work well. I am not sure how the little aluminium tab held on with two screws would foul the adaptor ring (assuming that is the tab that you are referring to). At least not on any of the Nikon lenses that I have.

It's been fun buying these old Nikon manual lenses so cheaply especially when they arrive in a lovely old leather case. The best lens I have bought so far is an unusual 180mm focal length. It's an F2.8 with really big glass that produces great images. It is knocked about as hell & was even listed on eBay as 'shabby' but the optics are perfect.

BTW For those who are unaware there are some Nikon lenses that will not fit on the 5DII with an adaptor as a tongue/flange/tab protrudes too far back into the body of the camera. I nearly damaged my camera as this was the first Nikon lens that I bought & I didn't know any better. Here are photos & more discussion. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...it-normal.html

John Hyland May 1st, 2009 11:29 AM

Kawa Adapters

Any links for the Kawa adapters? I'm coming up empty on ebay.

Dan Brockett May 1st, 2009 11:32 AM

Adapter For Nikon Lens to Canon EOS body - eBay (item 290313975432 end time May-05-09 09:10:25 PDT)

Dan Chung May 1st, 2009 11:38 AM

Nigel,

Enjoy that 180mm f2.8, its one of the sharpest lenses ever made. I think mine still performs as well if not better than any of my 80-200 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8 Nikon zooms.

Dan

Ray Bell May 1st, 2009 12:56 PM

The adaptors come in two flavors....

The cheaper adaptors do not have focus confirm chips installed....

not that that is a bad thing ....

And the other flavor of adaptor is the ones that do have the focus confirm
chips installed.... (of course they cost more)

The only benefit is that the Camera will also confirm that focus has been accomplished
via the camera focus sensor(s) when you achieve focus on your subject...

just an extra indication to you that you are in focus with a nice beep from the camera...

Nigel Barker May 1st, 2009 10:59 PM

The Novoflex adaptor at $200 doesn't contain any electronics nor would any be useful on manual Nikon lenses.