Monitor for the 5D MkII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Monitor for the 5D MkII

I've read that the HDMI output on the 5D MkII is downgraded to 480 during video capture and still has the overlay. Is this true?

In that case, it might make more sense to use the analog video output to a cheaper SD monitor. Anybody know of a good battery-powered SD monitor that accepts analog and has a 16x9 resolution? I wonder if any portable DVD players come with A/V inputs. I could probably hack one easily enough. Who cares if the colors stink. I'd use it for framing and focus - especially since the LCD on the camera doesn't articulate for those awkward camera placements.

For those of you who already have their 5D2, does an analog 16x9 monitor make sense?
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Major Player

I have both 10.9 Manhattan HD HDMI and 8 inch Lilliput analogue monitors. Much prefer the image from the HDMI even downscaled and in the wrong aspect ratio. but the 8 inch is better to use on the go because it doesn't cut off momentarily when recording starts and the resolution changes.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan.

Is the analog output a native 16:9, or is it 4:3, when you include the menus? Also, even if it includes the 4:3 menus, is the 16:9 image centered? If so, any 16:9 monitor with a stretch option should be able to fill the screen properly.
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Major Player

I've found the cameras LCD really good. I understand it's size and location really doesn't work well in many setups. But for precise focus it is great.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have this set up and wonder if it would match up well. This definitely SD, but I have used it with my HV20 Letus combo with some success. It out did my Polaroid LCD DVD player by a long shot.

7? LCD Monitor Studio Bundle w/ AA Battery Power Pack - LCD4Video
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I bought a 7" Lilliput SD monitor too.

My only complaint is that its very difficult to use outdoors even with a visor. The brightness is rated at 400 nits, finding anything much brighter gets very expensive ($2,500 for 1000 nits from RED).
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
I bought a 7" Lilliput SD monitor too. ....
Hi Dan, just wondering how you have chosen to power your monitor. darren
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #8
New Boot

IKAN HD an option?

The new Ikan V8000HD has an HDMI input. It's predecessor only has component. Could you not use an HDMI to component cable to connect the 5D to the monitor? The older Ikam HD's are about $200 less than the new HDMI version. A cable is only around $10.
Paul Larche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
I bought a 7" Lilliput SD monitor too.

My only complaint is that its very difficult to use outdoors even with a visor. The brightness is rated at 400 nits, finding anything much brighter gets very expensive ($2,500 for 1000 nits from RED).
The one type of non-DV monitor that would be pretty good outdoors are those made for automobiles. The better ones of these are sunlight visible. I have a 16:9 SD cat monitor I use with my gps and computer I will try out with the 5DII.

For framing and focus, doesn't it seem like there should be a $500 camcorder monitor? I realize color isn't' going to be as accurate on a less expensive monitors.

Edit: Looking around I see there are more $500-800 options than I thought. Any suggestion for a monitor set up more like a viewfinder for two eyes? My use for this is almost exclusively outdoors.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #10
Major Player

5D monitor

Did any of you guys end up finding your dream monitor for the 5D markii? (for video of course)

I would like to do everything with the monitor, see focus, colors, framing, etc
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #11
New Boot

I have been more then happy using the marshall v-lcd70xp-hdmi monitor. Peaking,false colors, etc. Makes shooting with the 5D II so much easier.
Van Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Does that Marshall Monitor work well in bright sunlight?
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Inner Circle

As with most any monitor, you need to shade it. Direct sunlight will make it difficult to see.
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #14
Trustee

Love my smallhd dp1. Same boat with my t2i as the 5d...switches resolution on record. Still works well for focus but I prefer my z-finder. Hard to get clients to look through it though and that's why I'm upgrading to a 7d in a month... Unless the 60d is released with some amazing new features.
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #15
New Boot

I wish Canon would surprise us with 1080 or 720 signal out while recording. That would give more life to 5Dmk2. Or maybe ML does it...
Antti Turpeinen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD