Tricks of controlling 5D mark II + EF lenses exposure manually - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Thanks for the clarification.
The reason I had to ask is because you mentioned you had 'total control over ISO and aperture' but now I know it's not the case -- it's not practical to shoot at 1.4 unless that's what you want and/or you don't have enough light available. And you compared it with the DOF preview/twist method in the Vimeo post -- but the DOF preview method allows any aperture so it cannot be compared with your method.
Bernard Racelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #32
55th Combat Camera (USA)

Yeah sorry for the confusion. I fixed it where I accidentally said total control over both in my second post by my first post clearly said "to get manual control over my ISO and Lock my aperture to wide open."
Tyler Ginter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Racelis View Post
And you compared it with the DOF preview/twist method in the Vimeo post -- but the DOF preview method allows any aperture so it cannot be compared with your method.
What method is this?

Merci.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Tyler,

Great info overall, thanks. Just an additional note... You can start increasing shutter speed once iso reaches 100 under normal circumstances and if you enable highlight tone priority, shutter speed will go up once iso reaches 200 ;)

So far, this seems to be as good as it gets for manual control. Now if only we could find a way to reliably get the camera to do, say, max aperture, iso 800, 1/60th with a short focal length like 20mm we would be golden :)

PS. I'd love to have a word with whoever wrote the algorithm for auto exposure at canon. Who told him it was a good idea to make shutter speed stick at 1/focal length seconds? Not to mention the aperture stepping, it's like, very very very shallow DOF or infinite.

The auto exposure with lock limit wouldn't be such a PITA if it wasn't for the flawed auto exposure algorithm. :)
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz View Post
What method is this?
Merci.
It's the "use at your own risk" method.

Many cameras (even back to the film days) have a depth-of-field preview button that allows you to view through the viewfinder what the image (including DOF) would look like with the lens stopped down to the selected aperture.

The trick is to unlock/twist the lens from the Canon body before releasing the DOF preview button so that the electronic contacts are disconnected, and the lens will remain at the selected aperture.

I have not tried this myself so I cannot comment further.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #36
55th Combat Camera (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis de la Cerda View Post
Tyler,

Great info overall, thanks. Just an additional note... You can start increasing shutter speed once iso reaches 100 under normal circumstances and if you enable highlight tone priority, shutter speed will go up once iso reaches 200 ;)

So far, this seems to be as good as it gets for manual control. Now if only we could find a way to reliably get the camera to do, say, max aperture, iso 800, 1/60th with a short focal length like 20mm we would be golden :)

PS. I'd love to have a word with whoever wrote the algorithm for auto exposure at canon. Who told him it was a good idea to make shutter speed stick at 1/focal length seconds? Not to mention the aperture stepping, it's like, very very very shallow DOF or infinite.

The auto exposure with lock limit wouldn't be such a PITA if it wasn't for the flawed auto exposure algorithm. :)
Oh Awesome tip on the highlight tone priority setting :) Yeah I agree with what you are saying here. Canon lost there mind with their algorithms.. I mean the workarounds are close but imagine how powerful this baby could be with manual control even to a very limited extent... There has to be reasoning behind this, I wish they would just let us know why they didn't put it in the camera. I'm really starting to think they just don't want to lose all their video sales and it's a big conspiracy. Think if this camera had 24/25p and full manual controls... Who would buy their video cameras??? Just saying...
Tyler Ginter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #37
Major Player

I understand the occasional specialized use for high shutter speed, but isn't the bigger problem keeping shutter at 1/30 or 1/60?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
I understand the occasional specialized use for high shutter speed, but isn't the bigger problem keeping shutter at 1/30 or 1/60?
1/30th? Isn't it too slow?
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I just checked whether the shutter speed higher than 1/125 being displayed on the LCD when you mount an EF telephoto lens is accurate or not.

The result = NO.

I mounted an EF 300 and shot a still picture at 1/320 and you can see the fan blades:
http://www.palsomedia.com/canon5d2/s..._320_speed.jpg

But on the video with the LCD showing 1/320, the fan is completely blurred:
http://www.palsomedia.com/canon5d2/s...ed_display.jpg

With a non-EF lens, it does go faster than 1/125. Here's one at 1/400:
http://www.palsomedia.com/canon5d2/s...nonEF_lens.jpg

Last edited by Bernard Racelis; December 16th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #40
Inner Circle

I assume that a still photo of 1/125 will look the same?

I've got an old turntable. That could be perfect for shutter speed tests.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Here's a still photo at 1/125:

http://www.palsomedia.com/canon5d2/s..._125_speed.jpg
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #42
Major Player

Movie mode? The shutter speed range in movie mode goes from 1/30th up to 1/125th.

Or exposure simulation? The shutter button information is not reliable.

Take a look: Canon 5D Mark 2 Video Aperture Manipulation Demo on Vimeo
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Movie mode? The shutter speed range in movie mode goes from 1/30th up to 1/125th.

Or exposure simulation? The shutter button information is not reliable.

Take a look: Canon 5D Mark 2 Video Aperture Manipulation Demo on Vimeo
All my tests were under the "Movie Display" mode of the "Stills+Movie" Live View setting, not "Exposure Simulation", and I was looking at the LCD information while recording.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
But on the video with the LCD showing 1/320, the fan is completely blurred:
http://www.palsomedia.com/canon5d2/s...ed_display.jpg
Quote:
They seem the same shutter exposition. The movie mode has a limited range. The camera doesn't let to be cheated by the EF lens in this case, that's what I think.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
They seem the same shutter exposition. The movie mode has a limited range. The camera doesn't let to be cheated by the EF lens in this case, that's what I think.
Mathieu, it may not have been obvious, but what you just said is exactly the same thing that was being said in posts #39, #41, #42.
Bernard Racelis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD