DV Info Net

DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Possibly "Odd" Power Supply Question (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/139271-possibly-odd-power-supply-question.html)

Matthew Roddy December 9th, 2008 01:23 PM

Possibly "Odd" Power Supply Question
 
I plan on doing a bit of video production with this camera.
In general, I think I'll be happy with the on-board batteries, but I was thinking:
I'll likely be mounting this camera on rails (ala: Redrock for video DSLRs ), and will have a small external monitor. I have a Gold Mount and a series of Anton Bauer Hytron and Dyonic batteries that I could put on the back of the rails to power the monitor and I thought, Can it power the camera too? If so, that would be an "all week" kind of battery setup.

Does anyone know if this is a possible option?

Jon Fairhurst December 9th, 2008 04:37 PM

Here's a link to the manual and other downloads. (Maybe this link could be added to a separate sticky.)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

According to p196, the ACK-E6 AC Adapter Kit connects an AC outlet to the camera. The kit has two parts: the AC-E6 AC Adapter (providing a DC output), and the DR-E6, the DC Coupler, which is a fake battery with a DC power cord (p210). The voltage is 8 VDC (p221).

The connector from the DR-E6 looks like a typical concentric DC connector, used with many consumer electronic products. Unlike most bricks, the male plug comes from the camera, rather than the brick.

BTW, I missed getting a 5D2 by a couple of hours today. Still waiting...

Daniel Browning December 9th, 2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 975462)
The connector from the DR-E6 looks like a typical concentric DC connector, used with many consumer electronic products.

I, too, will be attempting some unusual power supply. I'd like to shoot up to 72 hours of non-stop long-exposure timelapse using deep-cycle marine batteries. Some astronomers (like in our local RCA, Jon) rig an all-DC connection themselves by opening a Canon battery. That's beyond my skills, so maybe I should first look for a way to adapt the DR-E6 to the marine battery.

Chris Soucy December 9th, 2008 05:48 PM

Hi Guys...............
 
Wouldn't be suprised if there was an "off the shelf" solution knocking around somewhere, tho' not one that immediately springs to mind.

What would be usefull, well, OK, imperative, is knowing the rated output voltage from the various battery supplies and the expected input voltage to the camera, along with the expected or rated current drain.

If a ready made solution isn't out there it shouldn't be too tricky to "cobble something together" to do the job, hey, it's only a series pass voltage regulator after all.

I take it from Jon's post the expected camera voltage is 8 Volts, is this correct?

From memory a simple series pass regulator needs about 2 volts overhead, implying a minimum battery output of 10 volts. If all the possible battery supplies satisfy that requirement then I think it's possible.

Less than that and it's getting a tad more involved as we're into DC to DC converters.

One possible hurdle that could trip it all up is if the camera needs that third connector from the power supply to "talk" to the on board computer.

Has that DC cable with the dummy battery got two contacts or three? More?

From memory none of the dummy battery units I've seen to date have used the third terminal, but that doesn't mean this one won't.


CS

Larry Farkas February 27th, 2009 02:38 PM

Canon 5D power
 
Dear Mr. Roddy,

I currently make a sled mountable base for the Canon 5D which uses Anton Bauer Hytron / Dionic batteries. It will supply power for your 12 vdc accessories (lights, monitor) and the 7.2 vdc required for the camera body.

Hope this is helpful.

Larry
lexicon.demon@gmail.com

Daniel Browning February 27th, 2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 975487)
If a ready made solution isn't out there

I bought Hutech's 5D2 DC adapter (sku: EOS211) for $130.

Mark Hahn February 27th, 2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 975487)
Wouldn't be suprised if there was an "off the shelf" solution knocking around somewhere, tho' not one that immediately springs to mind.

What would be usefull, well, OK, imperative, is knowing the rated output voltage from the various battery supplies and the expected input voltage to the camera, along with the expected or rated current drain.

If a ready made solution isn't out there it shouldn't be too tricky to "cobble something together" to do the job, hey, it's only a series pass voltage regulator after all.

I take it from Jon's post the expected camera voltage is 8 Volts, is this correct?

From memory a simple series pass regulator needs about 2 volts overhead, implying a minimum battery output of 10 volts. If all the possible battery supplies satisfy that requirement then I think it's possible.

Less than that and it's getting a tad more involved as we're into DC to DC converters.

One possible hurdle that could trip it all up is if the camera needs that third connector from the power supply to "talk" to the on board computer.

Has that DC cable with the dummy battery got two contacts or three? More?

From memory none of the dummy battery units I've seen to date have used the third terminal, but that doesn't mean this one won't.


CS

If you are using any current at all a series-pass will heat up things too much. It will waste almost half of the power from a normal "12-Volt" battery, which actually run 14 to 16 volts.

A DC to DC converter is almost a requirement.

Larry Farkas February 28th, 2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy (Post 975363)
I plan on doing a bit of video production with this camera.
In general, I think I'll be happy with the on-board batteries, but I was thinking:
I'll likely be mounting this camera on rails (ala: Redrock for video DSLRs ), and will have a small external monitor. I have a Gold Mount and a series of Anton Bauer Hytron and Dyonic batteries that I could put on the back of the rails to power the monitor and I thought, Can it power the camera too? If so, that would be an "all week" kind of battery setup.

Does anyone know if this is a possible option?

My unit is off the shelf and ships in 3 to 5 business days. Email me at lexicon.demon@gmail.com . Custom mounts for the 5D are also available. (follow focus, Matte Box, etc.)

John Saunders March 1st, 2009 09:50 AM

I made one using and AB mount and it has multiple variable outputs check it out here:

http://vimeo.com/2936707

x2 monitored and adjustable outputs
x1 unmonitored, 2 connector, adjustable but set to 12 V outputs
Outputs range from 1.2 VDC to 13.7 VDC
Lemo Connectors

I plan on putting an AC/DC converter in it also so that I can run off power if I want to.

The box was custom built to our specs by RCI custom and they did a great job.

The prices are something like this:

Panel multimeters - $15 x2
Switching voltage regulators - $20 x4
Lemo female connectors - $18 x4
Lemo Male connectors - $25 x4
Anton Bauer Gold mount - $90 x1
Custom Box - $150 x1

Total cost with other misc stuff about $530

Hope it helps. schematic of how it's wired: http://www.cgllc.com/battery/

Toenis Liivamaegi March 1st, 2009 12:42 PM

Would 5D MKII burn down if the voltage on the charged battery is 8.4 instead of 8.2 Volts?
I'm seeing such difference on a tester display and don't want to burn down my cam by accident

T

Jon Fairhurst March 1st, 2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1020542)
Would 5D MKII burn down if the voltage on the charged battery is 8.4 instead of 8.2 Volts?

That's within 2.5%. I'm sure that's no problem at all.

Consider that overclockers often juice the voltage to the RAM by 25% or more - and then run the system 24/7. The heat from a 2.5% voltage bump will be minimal. Shooting in Death Valley in the summer would be way more stressful than a small voltage bump in normal temperatures.

Mark Hahn March 1st, 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1020542)
Would 5D MKII burn down if the voltage on the charged battery is 8.4 instead of 8.2 Volts?
I'm seeing such difference on a tester display and don't want to burn down my cam by accident

T

The 5D2 has to handle different voltages since it is run off of battery. 8.4 would be no problem.

But there is a maximum voltage that we don't know. Some devices heat up but other devices just pop like a fuse. There would only be one way to find out. Anyone want to donate a 5D2 to experiment on?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network