CF Compact Flash cards - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #91
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
For bursts, I'd get the IV.

For video you need a bit over 40 mega bits per second. Most cards do closer to 20 mega bytes per second. That's four times faster than you need.

You might consider a 4GB SanDisk IV, and a 32GB slower card. You can also use the slower card for timelapse shooting of stills.
Thanks Jon. I think I'll probably get an 8 or 16 GB Extreme IV for stills/bursts, and the 32 GB Extreme III for video. However, I don't know how much of the bursts I really need, in which case I keep beating myself up with trying to make a decision on what cards to get.

I can get the RiData 8, 16 and 32 GB cards for $157 (all 3 together), that seems like a heckava deal.
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #92
Regular Crew

CF Card Reader

Anyone suggest a fast CF Card reader for USB 2.0?
I supposed most any would do fine...
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #93
Inner Circle

I have a Delkin Devices reader that is really nice on the PC. I just yank the cards out and Windows File Explorer sits there showing the previous files. I plug the card back in, hit F5 to refresh the view and I'm back to work. I've been doing this for seven months with SanDisk IV cards.

Unfortunately, my friend claims that his Delkin Devices reader crashes his Mac. Hopefully a new driver/patch will fix that soon.

Mine looks like this one, but says "Delkin Devices" on top rather than "eFilm."
Delkin Devices | eFilm Reader-38 Card Reader/Writer
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #94
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher McCord View Post
Anyone suggest a fast CF Card reader for USB 2.0?
I supposed most any would do fine...
To not quite answer your question as unloading the CF cards can take a significant time it's worth buying the best & fastest that you can. I have used a variety of USB devices but the Lexar Professional UDMA FireWireŽ 800 Reader device is far & away the fastest CF reader that I have used. I would expect their Lexar Professional UDMA Dual-Slot USB Reader to be as good as it gets for USB.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #95
Major Player

CF card for 5d

ordering 5d camera in a few days, am thinking of this card:
Transcend 32 GB, 133x High Speed, Compact Flash Memory Card.

anyone use this one, or, similar, have heard of a few issues with a different cards
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #96
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
ordering 5d camera in a few days, am thinking of this card:
Transcend 32 GB, 133x High Speed, Compact Flash Memory Card.

anyone use this one, or, similar, have heard of a few issues with a different cards
I bought four Transcend 133x 16GB cards when I bought my 5d. Two of them have died, one during a job which was extremely embarassing. I will not touch Transcend again.

I have since switched to Sandisk Extreme III and have encountered no problems.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #97
Major Player

I've been using a Transcend 16GB x300 card for stills and video since I bought my 4D mk II at Christmas. I've not experienced any problems whatsoever. I've read about problems with all brands and models, including the SanDisk extreme III and IV.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #98
Regular Crew

How much difference between Kingston 133x and Extreme III

I have Kingston 133x 32GB, and when I transfer full card it takes more than 30 minutes for all files to transfer. I am using one of those All-in-One USB 2.0 card reader, similar to one Jon has shown above.

Though I have started using it recently only once did I see the side bar in 5D2, that also when I had Auto ISO and light was changing fast. Otherwise this Kingston card is working fine. I also have some Ultra II 4GB, but they fill up too fast.

What kind of time are you spending transferring a full 32GB Extreme III or IV card?
Ramesh Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #99
Major Player

32 gig CF card

I just read that even though you can use a 32 gig card all you can get is a max of 4 gigs or 12 minutes because of the file system, what is everyone's experience with this issue
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #100
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
I just read that even though you can use a 32 gig card all you can get is a max of 4 gigs or 12 minutes because of the file system, what is everyone's experience with this issue
Yes, there's a 12 minute (approximate) limit-it is all over the documentation etc.
Mitch Aunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #101
Inner Circle

You can only record 4GB in a single file, but you can record as many files as you can fit on the card.

This used to be a HUGE issue before we had manual control, since it took time to trick the camera into the desired settings. Now, with manual settings, you can just hit record again after you hit the ~12minute, 4GB limit.

My recommendation to people who need to capture longer recordings is to use a separate audio recorder, so your audio is continuous, and to have some B-roll that you can use to mask the video drop out. If that's not good enough, get a different camera. The 5D2 isn't the right solution if you need very long takes with no gaps.
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #102
Major Player

So anyone knows if the Kingston 133x 32GB can handle video and an occasional RAW still at the same time, or do I need their Ultimate 266x for that..?

-- peer
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #103
Inner Circle

I use the 16 gig Kingston Pro Elite, no problems, from Frys. I ve stuck with that level. In our testing of Magic Lantern, it seems like issue start arising with various 32's and I recall reports of trouble on one the Knigston. With Magic Lantern, issue was with wait times for loading the Magic Lantern software from the CF card. Problem was eliminated y a pause inserted by Trammel Hudson. What that means with regular shooting is your best guess. The 45 minutes per card on 16's has been fine for me, so I didn't go to 32's
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #104
Regular Crew

I've been using Extreme III cards. no probs with stills - but HEAPS of stuttering/pausing on video - mainly with panning. It seemed like the camera was wanting to 'buffer' somehow when too much info was trying to be recorded. (please correct me if this is technically impossible) - however, I layout the cash for an extreme IV 16GB, and have noticed more smoother panning. - still testing though.

any thoughts if I'm on the right track anyone?
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #105
Major Player

i finally ordered a kingston 32 gig, 133, haven't seen any issues yet, I did get a fast reader tho, 480 mbs, loadiing files very quick,
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD