Nikon to EOS Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 13th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Nikon to EOS Adapter

Seems like at just about every turn, I'm making incorrect assumptions about my 5DM2.
FORTUNATELY, I got y'all to keep me straight. Thanks very much for that.

To that end, I'm about to purchase an adapter so my Nikon lenses will work on my Canon body.
I've found several that say they'll do the job, ranging from $6.00 to $250.00. This is the one I'm taking most seriously at this time. It SEEMS good for the money.
Adapter Fits Canon EOS Body To Nikon lens F AI AIS AF - eBay (item 360114342352 end time Jan-05-09 22:24:44 PST)
Would I do well with this?

Here are some others I have tracked down (not counting the bazillion I've found on Ebay):
http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...117ed96451dec4

Amazon.com: Adorama Nikon Lens To Canon EOS Body Adapter: Electronics

Novoflex | Lens Adapter Nikon to Canon EOS Body | EOS/NIK | B&H
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think most of these are pretty much the same, even the cheapest ones work OK. All they are is an EOS lens mount screwed to a Nikon body mount, it's not ocket science! I think if some are a bit more pricey they may just be a little batter made.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
All they are is an EOS lens mount screwed to a Nikon body mount, it's not ocket science!
I've been trying find one locally but no luck, seems like camera shops don't generally carry these adapters. The funniest thing is that as I called around I found I was getting attitude from some of the shops as if I was asking for something ridiculous...

The first shop's response was almost wistful - "yeah, I really wish we had something like that" as if it was a great idea and everyone's been asking for it for years but no one's figured out a way to do it.

The next couple of shops were basically laughing at the request, as if it was some crazy idea and of course they wouldn't have an adapter like that.

Finally, after exhausting all the local pro shops I call the largest local Ritz and the guy literally goes off on a rant about how Nikon has a proprietary mount and won't let anyone do anything with it, and that even if they would it's a physical impossibility and would probably destroy your camera body, and that in any case it would void your warranty and leave you with no recourse if something went wrong with the camera later. So at this point I'm the one laughing, I tell him that this is basically what a lot of people are doing in order to shoot video with the 5D, and that I was hoping to find the adapter locally but they're readily available from multiple sources online. His response was "well, if you *believe* in that" - his emphasis, not sure if he meant the adapter or the internet itself - "you can give it a try but you'll just end up destroying your camera!".

So, yeah, guess I'll be ordering it online...

Last edited by Evan Donn; December 14th, 2008 at 10:11 AM.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
I've been trying find one locally but no luck, seems like camera shops don't generally carry these adapters. The funniest thing is that as I'm called around I found I was getting attitude from some of the shops as if I was asking for something ridiculous...
I had pretty much the exact same experience. One guy got hot and bothered with me, saying that's not possible, but maybe decades ago and maybe I might be able to find a used one. Well, there's no arguing with that logic, so I thought it was time to move on.

I think I'll go order one now.

Thanks for the re-enforcement.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Portland's Pro Photo Supply didn't carry it (probably due to liability), but was aware of them, respectful, and said "you'd need to get that on the Internet."
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Would lenses that can damage the mirror cause shops to be weary of selling the adapters? I'm sure they also want to sell all new lenses for their cameras and wouldn't suggest keeping older lenses for a different brand body.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thing is Marcus that's unlikely as an y adapter actually moves the lens further from the mirror not closer to it! I'm not surprised at all at the response from camera stores, the folks there often are pretty unaware of the way things work they just have their product and price lists and that's it!
Steve
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Has anyone got a link where I can get one from the UK, ebay (UK version) does not list any in the UK just from China etc. And other links via Google from the UK look suspect.

Thanks, James
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thing is Marcus that's unlikely as an y adapter actually moves the lens further from the mirror not closer to it! I'm not surprised at all at the response from camera stores, the folks there often are pretty unaware of the way things work they just have their product and price lists and that's it!
Steve
Keep in mind that you'd be using another camera (example Canon) which may have a larger mirror than the original camera lens mount specs (Nikon/Leica,etc) would allow. Even if it moves the lens farther from the mirror, the mirror can still strike the rear of the lens if the mirror is too large.
Bernard Racelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Major Player

Does anyone know if for example Nikkor 70 200 2.8 VR lens will work on Canon via adapter?
How would you control the aperture, (there is no outside aperture ring ) ?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Does anyone know if for example Nikkor 70 200 2.8 VR lens will work on Canon via adapter?
How would you control the aperture, (there is no outside aperture ring ) ?
G series will not work at this time. There isn't an adapter that will allow aperture control. The only adapter for the G series is designed only for the Nikon 14-24.

Last edited by Don Miller; December 14th, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Racelis View Post
Keep in mind that you'd be using another camera (example Canon) which may have a larger mirror than the original camera lens mount specs (Nikon/Leica,etc) would allow. Even if it moves the lens farther from the mirror, the mirror can still strike the rear of the lens if the mirror is too large.
Adapters work for many lenses on Canon because the flange distance (back of the lens to sensor) is less than other brands. Even so, some lenses may not work because they protrude into the camera. This is sometimes true of wide lenses.

So Canon flange + 2.5 mil adapter = Nikon Flange

Also the Canon EF mount has a wide diameter. The Nikon F mount is relatively narrow.

To summarize, a camera that can use other mounts has the characteristics of short flange distance and a wide opening. That's Canon.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Just to be pedantic, the 70-210 VR will mount, you just won't be able to change the aperture (you could insert something in the mechanism that held the aperture at a certain stop, but it'd be silly really).
In terms of flange distance, there is another option if the ffd doesn't allow a straight adapter, you just introduce an optic that gives a small multiplier effect (like a 1.4x teleconverter) and you can make it work. Doesn't solve the aperture problem though. The VR won't work either as it needs power, you'd be better off getting an older 80-200 f2.8 or Sigma 70-210 f2.8 (very nice lens).
Steve
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Just to be pedantic, the 70-210 VR will mount, you just won't be able to change the aperture (you could insert something in the mechanism that held the aperture at a certain stop, but it'd be silly really).
I thought it was already mentioned in this forum that you could use this adapter which allows aperture control on a Nikon lens with no apeture ring ?

Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter
Bernard Racelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #15
Major Player

Bernard,
sorry I got confused,

"I thought it was already mentioned in this forum that you could use this adapter which allows aperture control on a Nikon lens with no apeture ring ?
Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter"

so it's possible to use 70 200 2.8 Nikkor and control aperture?

Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter, THE ONLY ADAPTER THAT ALLOWS THAT?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD