How does the 5D hold up with action shots? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 20th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #1
Major Player

How does the 5D hold up with action shots?

Thinking of buying one but I need something for sports and wildlife that involves pans and often times running on a merlin. How does this camera perform in those areas? I've seen some films on vimeo and I have a few worries.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Major Player

imo,

not a good idea at all, rolling shutter from my experience is pretty unpredictable, can skip/gello at any time,

the camera generally for me is for careful cinematography, does not forgive shaky moves,
I'd think tripod or monopod is desired.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
imo,

not a good idea at all, rolling shutter from my experience is pretty unpredictable, can skip/gello at any time,

the camera generally for me is for careful cinematography, does not forgive shaky moves,
I'd think tripod or monopod is desired.
This is the gospel truth. Great camera but quite prone to rolling shutter issues. Longer focal lengths exacerbate the issues too, so best to avoid any bumpy, jittery, shakey handheld anything. Stabilize with a tripod, steadicam, or even FigRig.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think the 5D MkII can work for action sequences, but you have to plan your shots.

* Pan the camera only one direction per cut. No back and fourths.
* Use wider lenses for faster moves. The skew will blend with the lens distortion, which people readily accept.
* Move the actors more than the camera - especially around buildings and straight lines.
* Pay attention to shutter speed, which isn't easy to control.

There are better cameras for pure, handheld action, but if this is what you have, you can still make it work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD