New workaround for the quicktime h264 problem? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #16
New Boot

MPEG StreamClip + Avid DNxHD codec gives the correct interpretation for H.264 .MOV from 5D2.

Above all, it's absolutely free:

Avid DNxHD Codec

The resulting image is exactly the same as Carbon Coder + CineForm NEO HD. (just need a good Pc to play the files )

I used DNxHD 120 25p 8bits “709”, and 30i/s on stream Clip, without any correction
Ralph Schoberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I just tried this (installing the "Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 1.9")

First off, it appears that the DNxHD dialog box from within MPEG streamclip is formatted improperly so you can't quite see all of the options. Also, there is no 1080/30p option. Just 25p, 24p, and 23.976p. Or, you can select 1080i at 59.94, but I would rather have an option with no framerate conversions involved.

in any case, I can't seem to open any of the test clips (that I've generated with these tools) to edit from within Vegas, so this alternative doesn't seem to be viable for me.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM   #18
New Boot

In-Camera Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
James this really works, thank you. Just opening up the files in Color the low end magically appears. Wonderful. I'm still going to reduce contrast in camera and shoot flat as I think the camera does have a tendency to crush the blacks, but this together with the workflow you outline above my low end concerns are solved :-)
Yes, the camera does produce a contrasty image. How are you going to reduce the contrast in-camera?

k
Tony Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
I just tried this (installing the "Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 1.9")

First off, it appears that the DNxHD dialog box from within MPEG streamclip is formatted improperly so you can't quite see all of the options. Also, there is no 1080/30p option. Just 25p, 24p, and 23.976p. Or, you can select 1080i at 59.94, but I would rather have an option with no framerate conversions involved.

in any case, I can't seem to open any of the test clips (that I've generated with these tools) to edit from within Vegas, so this alternative doesn't seem to be viable for me.
It doesn't matter what framerate you set within the DNxHD Dialog.Just set the framerate in Mpegstreamclip. It gives me all the crusehed blacks back. But i'm on OS X. No idea what happens @windows
Ralph Schoberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wu View Post
Yes, the camera does produce a contrasty image. How are you going to reduce the contrast in-camera?
The Picture Style Editor allows you to make custom profiles, including custom white balance, color curves (to some degree anyway), contrast, and sharpness. You can also replace colors, if you're willing to make secondary color correction decisions during production. All the processing happens in RAW mode, before the compression and encoding to 8-bits.

The 5D MkII can definitely make low contrast video, if that's what you want. We don't have to make everything look like Reverie.
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:52 PM   #21
Major Player

Happy New Year everyone!

Holger, could you describe exact steps to capture footage recorded with 5mk2 into Blackmagic Decklink card into Macpro?

I do not get any signal into the computer via HDMI input, would be interesting to confirm your discovery into converting H264 video into Prores 422..

Cheers!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM   #22
New Boot

Thank you for responding with info that I should of searched for (just discovered the answer on other posts).

Yeah, I've always tried to shoot low-con either with camera settings or filters and play later in post. In-camera high-con is just too risky to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The Picture Style Editor allows you to make custom profiles, including custom white balance, color curves (to some degree anyway), contrast, and sharpness. You can also replace colors, if you're willing to make secondary color correction decisions during production. All the processing happens in RAW mode, before the compression and encoding to 8-bits.

The 5D MkII can definitely make low contrast video, if that's what you want. We don't have to make everything look like Reverie.
Tony Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
I do not get any signal into the computer via HDMI input, would be interesting to confirm your discovery into converting H264 video into Prores 422..
Hi Oleg,

So it didn't work for you! Damn! I'm hoping its nothing that can't be overcome! Would be great to hear from that original poster again!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD