DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5DMKII frame rate conversioin with After Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/140281-5dmkii-frame-rate-conversioin-after-effects.html)

Ray Bell December 25th, 2008 10:31 AM

5DMKII frame rate conversioin with After Effects

And we all thought this was going to be hard... :-)

our friend over at Video copilot has the solution for converting 5DMKII footage
to 24P and if you'd like, you can convert to Pal land 25P too....

Here is the tutorial ...

VideoCopilot.net Video Tutorials & Post Production

Barlow Elton December 25th, 2008 03:46 PM

Software has really come a long ways when dealing with frame rate conversions. Thanks for the link.

Mathieu Kassovitz December 25th, 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barlow Elton (Post 983831)
Software has really come a long ways when dealing with frame rate conversions.

What do you exactly want to mean??

Barlow Elton December 25th, 2008 06:31 PM

It's just a general observation. I've never before attempted to turn 30p into 24p, expecting a jumpy, stuttery, unconvincing result. I finally gave it a whirl the other day with Compressor, and the result more than exceeded my hopes. The tutorial you posted is great and I'm sure After Effects can achieve good results too.

I think the tools today are embarrassingly good for the money.

Still annoyed that Canon intentionally left out 24 or 25p, however.

Mathieu Kassovitz December 25th, 2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barlow Elton (Post 983885)
It's just a general observation. I've never before attempted to turn 30p into 24p, expecting a jumpy, stuttery, unconvincing result. I finally gave it a whirl the other day with Compressor, and the result more than exceeded my hopes. The tutorial you posted is great and I'm sure After Effects can achieve good results too.

What's your best bet? Compressor or After Effects? What software did you use before for that unconvincing result? Why unconvincing then and not now? Different apps?

Barlow Elton December 26th, 2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz (Post 983918)
What's your best bet? Compressor or After Effects? What software did you use before for that unconvincing result? Why unconvincing then and not now? Different apps?

I don't really have any experience with After Effects in this stuff, but from what I gather it's pixel motion analysis is similar to the optical flow technology in Shake/Compressor. I'm sure it would achieve the same results, but if you already have Compressor I think it's probably the easiest, simpler solution. If you're not FCP-based, than Twixtor/AE or something else on the PC.

I tried the frame rate conversions via QT player and FCP previously, many years before Apple bought Shake and integrated optical flow into Compressor.

Stephen van Vuuren December 27th, 2008 12:11 AM

The Video Co-Pilot tutorial does not use any real Optical flow techniques that I can see from a quick skim (unless the AE plug timewarp is in there somewhere and I missed it). Timewarp is okay and gives decent results as it appears Compressor does.

AE has one big advantage over compressor, both with Timewarp and the superior optical flow engine in Twixtor and Twixtor Pro - extensive customization and keyframing. This allows you to vary the effect on problem areas.

However, I tend to think defaults in Compressor, AE/Timewarp or AE/Twixtor will work for much stuff. But rolling shutter artfifacts, large motion blur, rapid camera motion etc. will likely cause issues at times and having keyframe control over it will be quite useful.

Matthew Roddy December 27th, 2008 12:53 PM

Stephen,
Give the Video Copilot tute another glance. It does indeed use Timewarp as well as some "tricks" to get rid of some nasty potential artifacting.

I gotta look into this "Twixtor." Before yesterday, I've never heard of it. Sounds like a powerful program.

Stephen van Vuuren December 27th, 2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy (Post 984665)
Stephen,
Give the Video Copilot tute another glance. It does indeed use Timewarp as well as some "tricks" to get rid of some nasty potential artifacting.

I gotta look into this "Twixtor." Before yesterday, I've never heard of it. Sounds like a powerful program.

I just skimmed, so I missed it - my bad. With timewarp, it probably gives decent results as well similar to Compressor but I much prefer Twixtor to Timewarp and have been using it for some years as it does many other things as well.