My eyes! The AE-Lock does nothing! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Major Player

My eyes! The AE-Lock does nothing!

Does anyone know of a way to keep the shutter speed from creeping during a zoom?

With the EF 70-200 f/4 IS, in movie mode (not exp. sim.), I can mess with the brightness and hope the camera will hit upon the values I want by accident (1/60, f/4, ISO 1600, in one example), then I "lock" the exposure and begin recording. If I zoom during the shot, the shutter speed will get faster to match the focal length (1/60 at 70mm to 1/125 at 135mm, for example), and it increases the ISO to match. It changes those values despite (maybe out of spite?) the AE lock and running tally lamp.

Does everyone (anyone?) else experience the same problem? Is there any workaround? Thanks in advance.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't tried what you're referring to (I no longer like zooming during a take), but what you say has been discussed here previously. It's a problem (or "feature" if you like) with this camera in it current incarnation. I don't think there is a solution, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Unfortunately for Canon, the solution is to use an adapter and Nikon manual lenses - or to unlock your lens and rotate it two or three mm.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
what you say has been discussed here previously.
I was misreading some of the other threads, probably because I couldn't believe Canon would cripple the camera so (on top of everything else), but I see it now.

Thanks, guys.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Major Player

I thought after locked (exposure), it stays locked in. Isn't that so?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

some zoom lenses will change the aperature if you zoom them while shooting video....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
some zoom lenses will change the aperature if you zoom them while shooting video....
Only while recording? Or even after locked before recording?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Major Player

My experience with the exposure lock option on a few other video cameras is that the exposure will remained locked, unless you fully zoom in while shooting and the camcorder can't maintain the locked combination of gain, aperture and shutter. Then it does the best that it can.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz View Post
I thought after locked (exposure), it stays locked in. Isn't that so?
Unfortunately, it's not so. Canon's braindamaged AE system chooses shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens. This misguided desire to use the "1/focal length" rule is so strong that it even overrides the exposure lock, and will manipulate ISO to change shutter speed in the middle of a recorded shot simply because the lens was zoomed.

Other than that, I'm not aware of anything else that changes during exposure lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mind the AE system compensating with ISO in that case (or not, I don't mind either way), but that's not what this thread is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
My experience with the exposure lock option on a few other video cameras is that the exposure will remained locked, unless you fully zoom in while shooting and the camcorder can't maintain the locked combination of gain, aperture and shutter. Then it does the best that it can.
I have high hopes that Canon will get it right next time, because even their $100 digicams and camcorders don't make this mistake (or several of the other things that the 5d2 gets wrong).
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD