Intermediate Codecs for Windows Users - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
So I finally ended up transcoding everything into 720p using the built-in Cineform HDV codec and it worked beautifully. Watching the preview and editing at a rock solid 30.000 fps is a thing of beauty too. Oh well, it sure would be nice if Neo HD didn't cost $500. I can't see spending that much just to fix something (colorspace glitches) that we shouldn't have to worry about in the first place.
Hmm So I have Cineform HDV (the stand alone application, not the one that came with Vegas) If you're able to render it to the cineform codec from within vegas, why can't I use NeoHDV's HDLink and render my 5D2 files?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Hmm So I have Cineform HDV (the stand alone application, not the one that came with Vegas) If you're able to render it to the cineform codec from within vegas, why can't I use NeoHDV's HDLink and render my 5D2 files?
who said you couldn't do that? have you tried it? I think it should work.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #48
New Boot

NLE with Canon EOS 5D MkII

Hi All,
I've been messing around trying out the limits of the camera and have noticed that as mentioned, direct dragging to the timeline seems to lose some of the dynamic range. I have tried this in Vegas 8 Pro with 32 bit option selected and it seems better. The BEST quick results have been to use the Windows Media encoder direct from the Vegas timeline.
I created a new preset project at 1920x1080 30P 32 bit mode. Then drag the .mov files onto the timeline. Render out as 1920x1080 30P .wmv two pass max sharpness 8MB/s stream and it seems pretty good for wmv.

I've tried to get it to .avi using the Cineform Neo HD which is capable of 1920x1080P .. but it doesn't seem to like the 30P H264 for some reason and crashes out .. or else gives audio but no video.

I reckon Cineform'll probably do something soon .. they're very good people.

BTW if you want tryout files my website has a load of zipped .mov untouched from the camera. These were my own 'evaluation' shots .. so don't expect 'art' ;-)

location is here - Untitled Document
Tony Koorlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
Ok, I tested it a little bit - it doesn't seem to change the preview framerate much for a single clip, BUT the biggest problem I see is that since you're de-interleaving the audio from the video track, it gets out of synch. On the one test clip I've been using, the audio track was shorter by about 1/2 second (0:26:16 vs 0:27:02). That could be problematic on larger projects but not such a big deal if you're using off-camera audio (except maybe in the case you're trying to synch the offcamera audio with the standard track)
I hate to dig up old discussions as much as anyone, but it's only fair to note that, inspired by this very thread, the audio truncation issue has been addressed in AVFS 1.0.0.5: http://www.turtlewar.org/avfs/

I haven't been keeping up with 5D discussions since my participation in this thread, so I imagine most of you have moved on to other editing solutions by now, but if you ever have a project that will benefit from AviSynth frameserving and the AVFS plugin, you can now safely disable interleaving without knocking your audio out of whack.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:38 PM   #50
Major Player

Is there a way to import 5D footage into Adobe Premier CS3 and....

Is there a way to import 5D footage into Adobe Premier CS3 and then use Media Encoder to get it into a better format? I am thinking about getting the 5D but I don't really want to spend money for software to make it all work if I do not have to. Advice would be appreciated.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD