Hardware questions (mac) for FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Hardware questions (mac) for FCP

Being a newbie in HD video, I have several questions:

I have a Mac pro (2 x 2.66 Ghz Intel) with 6 Gb Ram with 2 monitors (1 dvi and 1 VGA and not hd resolution; graphic card NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT).

The .mov files from the 5D mk2 don't play well (rea in FCP and frames are skipped.
When I convert the files
Eugene Hertoghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Eugene,

Are you editing from your internal drive or an external USB drive. Do the files play in standalone quicktime correctly or do they frame skip also.

You could try Apple compressor or MpegStreamClip and convert to an intermediate format like AIC or prores. This will take up much more room but will play/edit better. You could also down res to 1280 x 720 in Prores format to save room.

Make sure the drive you are playing the files is fast enough for the job the standard internal SATA drives are fast enough.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:30 AM   #3
New Boot

Oepss...sorry, started the thread but something in the posting went wrong.

So the files in Quicktime play well. But not in FCP. What I did is convert the files to Prores HQ and then it works ok for editing. But the Prores files are so much bigger.
Is there somekind of graphic card I should buy in other to edit with the mov files?
Also I'm planning to buy an Eizo Hd screen.

I'm using internal Sata hard disks. So that should be OK.
Many thanks for your input.

Eugene

EUGENE HERTOGHE Photographer Belgium - fotograaf Gent Belgie
Eugene Hertoghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
New Boot

The ProRes files require tremendous disk throughput.

If you want to use ProRes or ProResHQ then I would recomend a 2 drive raid 0.

Easiest way is to add 2 additional drives in your tower and use disk utility to make a raid 0 set.

Why not keep the files in the native format?
Art Aldrich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD