How long before the next version? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Major Player

How long before the next version?

After seeing all the footage posted on here I'm right on the edge of springing for one. Looks perfect for my needs. Great in low light and I have a pile of old nikon primes for apeture control. However, I'm wondering what are the chances the next version will have adjustable frame rates.

Any guesses when that next version might be coming out and if frame rate choice might be among the improvements.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Next version...

The original 5D came out over three years ago, and its replacement the 5D Mark II just came out, so one would not expect a replacement any time soon. There is some hope (speculation) that frame rate might be addressed with a firmware update but Canon hasn't commented on this. It also seems likely that as the rest of the Canon SLR pro line (1D, 1Ds) is updated video will be included, perhaps with adjustable frame rates.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Trustee

I'd agree with that. Hopefully there will be a firmware update, but don't hold your breath.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Canon already announced that they acknowledge the "black dot" issue, and are working on a fix. No word on framerates or video control.

Personally, I think they MUST make the exposure simulation settings lock down in video mode (to the nearest attainable levels, of course), giving full support to Canon EF lenses. Otherwise, they're pushing Nikon glass to us video folks.
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Personally, I think they MUST make the exposure simulation settings lock down in video mode (to the nearest attainable levels, of course), giving full support to Canon EF lenses. Otherwise, they're pushing Nikon glass to us video folks.
100% agreed.
Andreas Neubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
It also seems likely that as the rest of the Canon SLR pro line (1D, 1Ds) is updated video will be included, perhaps with adjustable frame rates.
They will never give the 1-series a movie mode!
The professional event photographers (sports, concerts) would NOT be admitted to the events with a HD-video capable camera!

Even Nikons freshly released flagship model D3X hast no video mode unlike the older D90.

The Canon 60D and 500D might feature video - but that will take some time as the 50D has just been released.
Canon would better do some firmware fixes this time unless the want to support Nikons next Video-DSLR release by forcing their own users to buy Nikon glass.
Andreas Neubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If the 1-series won't get video, then it makes even more sense to make the Exposure Simulation mode stay locked in video mode, because the 5D will be Canon's top of the line DVSLR.

The nice thing about the Exposure Simulation mode lock is that it wouldn't affect the user interface, nor would it affect the manual. In other words, it's not an added feature, it's a bug fix. In my engineering experience, changing a feature set after product release is tough, and if it affects printed materials and the UI, it's near impossible. However, making things work the way that they should is an easier sell.

Hopefully, Canon will also make some video format cameras that use the 35mm sensor and EF mount. Give it XLR inputs, zebras, long record times, shoulder mounts, video-appropriate auto focus, and other features that people would want for event videos and charge $5k+. And they shouldn't fear giving the 5D exposure simulation lock. That feature would make the 5D more usable for us risk takers, but the 4GB limit and SLR form-factor keep the 5D from undermining other video camera sales.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Neubert View Post
They will never give the 1-series a movie mode!
The professional event photographers (sports, concerts) would NOT be admitted to the events with a HD-video capable camera!.....
So are you saying the pro event photographers won't be admitted if they're packing a 5dmkII?

And given the press organisations are pushing their photographers into capturing clips for web news, I would think Canon would want to service that market with 1 series cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD