Cokin filters - would you use them? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Cokin filters - would you use them?

The Cokin filter system is attractively priced and seems like an easy means of stacking NDs to allow large apertures in video mode on the 5DM2.

A matte box with an array of premium B+W filters would be lovely, but as a lightweight alternative, how do Cokin filters compare? Would you use Cokin NDs on your 5DM2?

Any comments on the optical quality of the Cokin system appreciated.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Major Player

The cokin p series are all resin filters and optically ok. Their only draw back is that they are small and won't work in pro grade matte boxes that use 4" filters.

I guess if you get a really good deal on them ( I see them on the bargain/clearance table at my local camera shop all the time ) then they will hold you over until you feel the need for larger filters ( if you get some lenses with larger front elements like 72mm/77mm )

next step up would be a setup from Formatt.... I use there FM500 matte box and love the look, functionality, and especially hoe light it is.... perfect for steadicam work. I tend to only use LEE 4"X4" filters in it.... mainly because they ted to be the most affordable.

Also check out the vari-nd filter from sing-ray.... it's a screw on, but it is one filter that allows 2-8 stops of ND.... fantastic filter for the 5d2. Some folks think that this is the same as stacking 2 polarizer filters.... but for some magical reason the vari-nd works better ( no color shift )
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Christopher,

I have a CPL and have ordered a linear polariser to test out the homemade variable ND filter idea. What colour shift takes place as you stop down - simply more blue or is it more complex than that?

Is it something you could easily overcome through setting the white balance?
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Cokin filters are not coated in any way (leastways mine aren't). So you'll need to effectively hood them and avoid shooting point sources of light through them, otherwide you'll add to the flare.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Major Player

I used cokin P's a couple years back on my mini35 with the manual nikkors. I had to stack 3 for some wide open daylight shots which looked pretty good. The graduated ND is really helpful. I haven't noticed any issues shooting through them to video but am trying to see how to make my new (hey- new to me) Lindahl mattebox work. It's not super huge-video thing but the smallness is what makes the SLR thing work, no?
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I used the Cokin P ND grad in this video: Angel's Gate - Canon 5D Mark II on Vimeo

Can't remember the exact model, 121 I think.

Tom is right about the flare, looks ugly sometimes.
Also, there is a slight color shift that I don't care for.
But, you get what you pay for...

-Bill
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD