DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Crush problem solved - QT 7.6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/142082-crush-problem-solved-qt-7-6-a.html)

Greg Joyce January 21st, 2009 10:45 PM

Crush problem solved - QT 7.6

From Stu:

ProLost: Quicktime 7.6 Fixes 5D Movies

Josh Dahlberg January 22nd, 2009 01:07 AM

Spread the word: it works! This is a big deal.

Fixes the clipping also. No more need for cumbersome work-arounds.

Yay!

Dan Chung January 22nd, 2009 02:26 AM

Great news, I can't wait to test this one

Dan

Darren Jew January 22nd, 2009 06:11 AM

funny, I saw the quicktime update come in today, but delayed installing it due to a massive archiving/copying job I'm enduring... now can't wait for the last 500GB to copy!

Yang Wen January 22nd, 2009 09:05 AM

Now we just need a easily accessible transcoding app

Guy Cochran January 22nd, 2009 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea!

On Tuesday I did a presentation on the 5D Mark II to the local Final Cut Pro group. I shot this footage live in front of the audience and transcoded the "before" clip using QuickTime 7.5.5 in Compressor, it's the one on the right. I upgraded to 7.6 and recompressed today using the same Apple ProRes setting. You can see the "after" on the left. Look at the difference in shadow detail.

Joey Atilano January 22nd, 2009 12:42 PM

Does this help if you use Vegas to edit?

Mike Calla January 22nd, 2009 12:58 PM

It looks much better than before, on Vegas anyways. Histogram does show gaps though, worries me?! ...Performance still slow.

Jim Giberti January 22nd, 2009 01:39 PM

There's no question that it's completely fixed on my system. It's a "whole" image for the first time - like a new camera. Thanks for a quick response Apple. Now I'm really psyched.

Evan Donn January 22nd, 2009 04:51 PM

strange, just ran the update and seeing no change here...

Rich Castro January 22nd, 2009 05:36 PM

But is it stable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Calla (Post 999103)
It looks much better than before, on Vegas anyways. Histogram does show gaps though, worries me?! ...Performance still slow.

I can handle slow, but is it stable? I was never able to get in more then a dozen or so clips before it crashes.

Am I the only one with this problem? I would love to use proxies, but I can never revert back to the originals without crashing.

Keith Paisley January 22nd, 2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Castro (Post 999284)
I can handle slow, but is it stable? I was never able to get in more then a dozen or so clips before it crashes.

Am I the only one with this problem? I would love to use proxies, but I can never revert back to the originals without crashing.

you're not the only one - I reported the same problem in the original thread I started yesterday. The very first project (Vegas) I tried re-rendering had 30 clips, so when I switched out the proxy files, it simply crashed. I was hoping it might be something limited to my system configuration :(. Oh well, maybe 7.6.1 will come out in 6 months and it will fix it.

Jon Fairhurst January 22nd, 2009 07:29 PM

The new Quicktime solution is good for a quick fix. It works in Vegas. (I don't know about other NLEs. Sorry.) However, be aware of the following:
* The new Quicktime decoder captures the blacks and whites (yay!), but slightly increases the gamma. Your mid tones will be brighter, and there will be some black stretch.
* The adjustments are done with an 8-bit output. The result is gaps and peaks in the histogram. This could lead to slightly more contouring and quantization error.

Fortunately,
* You can still do the re-wrap trick in Vegas. You still need to do the re-size and re-center thing.
* The re-wrap levels are the same as before - perfect. There are no gaps all the way from 0 to 255.

The Bottom Line:
* Upgrade!
* Feel free to use the MOV file for quick work, especially if you don't plan to color correct.
* Maybe the brighter gamma levels look good, maybe not. It's a judgment call.
* Rewrap to MP4 if you want the best possible quality, don't want the boosted mid-tones, or if you plan to color correct. For color grading, you want all the levels you can get.

I would prefer if the decoded output was more faithful to the camera output, but I'm not complaining. The new decoder gives us a solution for fast turnaround, without the black crush. And we can still re-wrap for best quality.

Jay Bloomfield January 22nd, 2009 09:48 PM

@Jon,

I can confirm that I'm getting the same results (gamma, mid-tones etc.) as you have, with both Premiere CS3 and Vegas 8.0c. I used the scopes to compare the 5D MKII 2 MOV file to a Cineform AVI file that was converted from the original MOV file.

Marten Dalfors January 23rd, 2009 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 999339)
Fortunately,
* You can still do the re-wrap trick in Vegas. You still need to do the re-size and re-center thing.
* The re-wrap levels are the same as before - perfect. There are no gaps all the way from 0 to 255.

If you do the rewrap, I made some scripts to make life easier for the re-size and re-center. Check out my post at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/998409-post21.html