Crush problem solved - QT 7.6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Crush problem solved - QT 7.6

From Stu:

ProLost: Quicktime 7.6 Fixes 5D Movies
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Spread the word: it works! This is a big deal.

Fixes the clipping also. No more need for cumbersome work-arounds.

Yay!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Great news, I can't wait to test this one

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:11 AM   #4
New Boot

funny, I saw the quicktime update come in today, but delayed installing it due to a massive archiving/copying job I'm enduring... now can't wait for the last 500GB to copy!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Now we just need a easily accessible transcoding app
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:38 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

Yea!

On Tuesday I did a presentation on the 5D Mark II to the local Final Cut Pro group. I shot this footage live in front of the audience and transcoded the "before" clip using QuickTime 7.5.5 in Compressor, it's the one on the right. I upgraded to 7.6 and recompressed today using the same Apple ProRes setting. You can see the "after" on the left. Look at the difference in shadow detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Crush problem solved - QT 7.6-qt76.jpg  

Last edited by Guy Cochran; January 22nd, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Guy Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Does this help if you use Vegas to edit?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Major Player

It looks much better than before, on Vegas anyways. Histogram does show gaps though, worries me?! ...Performance still slow.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Major Player

There's no question that it's completely fixed on my system. It's a "whole" image for the first time - like a new camera. Thanks for a quick response Apple. Now I'm really psyched.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Major Player

strange, just ran the update and seeing no change here...
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

But is it stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Calla View Post
It looks much better than before, on Vegas anyways. Histogram does show gaps though, worries me?! ...Performance still slow.
I can handle slow, but is it stable? I was never able to get in more then a dozen or so clips before it crashes.

Am I the only one with this problem? I would love to use proxies, but I can never revert back to the originals without crashing.
Rich Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Castro View Post
I can handle slow, but is it stable? I was never able to get in more then a dozen or so clips before it crashes.

Am I the only one with this problem? I would love to use proxies, but I can never revert back to the originals without crashing.
you're not the only one - I reported the same problem in the original thread I started yesterday. The very first project (Vegas) I tried re-rendering had 30 clips, so when I switched out the proxy files, it simply crashed. I was hoping it might be something limited to my system configuration :(. Oh well, maybe 7.6.1 will come out in 6 months and it will fix it.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The new Quicktime solution is good for a quick fix. It works in Vegas. (I don't know about other NLEs. Sorry.) However, be aware of the following:
* The new Quicktime decoder captures the blacks and whites (yay!), but slightly increases the gamma. Your mid tones will be brighter, and there will be some black stretch.
* The adjustments are done with an 8-bit output. The result is gaps and peaks in the histogram. This could lead to slightly more contouring and quantization error.

Fortunately,
* You can still do the re-wrap trick in Vegas. You still need to do the re-size and re-center thing.
* The re-wrap levels are the same as before - perfect. There are no gaps all the way from 0 to 255.

The Bottom Line:
* Upgrade!
* Feel free to use the MOV file for quick work, especially if you don't plan to color correct.
* Maybe the brighter gamma levels look good, maybe not. It's a judgment call.
* Rewrap to MP4 if you want the best possible quality, don't want the boosted mid-tones, or if you plan to color correct. For color grading, you want all the levels you can get.

I would prefer if the decoded output was more faithful to the camera output, but I'm not complaining. The new decoder gives us a solution for fast turnaround, without the black crush. And we can still re-wrap for best quality.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Major Player

@Jon,

I can confirm that I'm getting the same results (gamma, mid-tones etc.) as you have, with both Premiere CS3 and Vegas 8.0c. I used the scopes to compare the 5D MKII 2 MOV file to a Cineform AVI file that was converted from the original MOV file.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Fortunately,
* You can still do the re-wrap trick in Vegas. You still need to do the re-size and re-center thing.
* The re-wrap levels are the same as before - perfect. There are no gaps all the way from 0 to 255.
If you do the rewrap, I made some scripts to make life easier for the re-size and re-center. Check out my post at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/998409-post21.html
Marten Dalfors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD