Great Adapter News - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
so I'm curious how mylar is going to help you set the aperture?
See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1002979-post13.html
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Just got the two adaptors that I ordered and put them on the two Nikons that i have...

They seem to be well built, nice and tight... make sure you understand how these go on
to the lens (locking pin) and how you get them off of the lens... at first I thought I had one stuck on the lens, then remembered that Nikon lenses come off in the opposite direction as the Canon lenses do..

I only have two of the Nikons as I also use them with my HV20 which does not require
the adaptors... so I do need to take the adapter on and off for the HV20 and 5DMKII setups.

I also have one of the Fotodiox Pro adaptors... the only differences I can see....

different un-lock lever (both OK)
Fotodiox is painted black (both OK)
Fotodiox will allow the 5DMKII to relay focus confirm, thats nice
and of course the price ....

If I was shooting short DOF I'd want to use the Fotodiox... if shooting aperature closed
down situations the non-smart adapter is fine....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #33
Major Player

How do I get this thing off

Ok, I ordered and received 2 Kawa adapters. They seem to be well made and fit very snug. BUT, HOW DO I GET IT OFF MY NIKON LENS! Everything goes on and off the camera fine but I want to move one to another nikon lens and can't figure out how to get the thing off.

Help
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #34
Major Player

never mind - just figured it out. You need to pull a little tab back before untwisting.
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
never mind - just figured it out. You need to pull a little tab back before untwisting.
I had the exact same experience the first time I used an adapter. It was quite the adrenalin rush when I thought it was stuck there for good. A label or instructions would have been nice.

It's a good feature though. We don't want our lenses falling on the floor.
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I'm interested to get a fairly cheap adapter for an old Nikon 105mm 1.8 MF lens I have lying around, for occasional stills and video use.
But I'm a bit confused about the different adapters available... they keep being referred to a bit vaguely in this thread as "the one i got from China" or "the one off eBay" etc...
Could someone list the adapters available, preferably with actual web links, and the advantages/disadvantages of each? It would be very helpful...
Thanks in advance...
Ben Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #37
Major Player

Here's the link to the Kawa adapter

He sells them cheaper on ebay (do a search for "nikon to eos" or "adapter for Nikon lens to Canon EOS body") and you'll see the Kawa version for $7.99. He charges $8 PER ADAPTER for shipping though!

Here's the consumer grade" ($27) adapter from Fotodiox Fotodiox.com.

And the "Pro grade" ($89) version Fotodiox.com.

I have one Pro grade Fotodiox adapter, and 2 Kawa adapters. I see no reason not to buy the much cheaper Kawa adapters!

While you're at it, you may want to get some Canon EF rear lens caps for your Nikon lenses.

Julian

Last edited by Julian Frost; March 13th, 2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added lens cap links
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #38
Major Player

I got mine from the ebay link. Same company. Great price and they fit like a glove.
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Thanks for the links Julian, I guess I'll give the KAWA one a try.
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Whilst searching around I came across this pretty cheap one that also has a microchip to enable Focus confirmation:

AF Confirm Nikon AI Lens to Canon EOS 50D 450D Adapter on eBay, also, Lens Mounts Adaptors, Camera Lenses, Photography (end time 09-Apr-09 13:28:34 BST)

Seems to be made by "Pixco" but I can't seem to find a website for the manufacturer.
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Here's another one with focus confirm (smart adaptor) its the Pro fotodiox version with a chip...

Fotodiox.com

the advantage of a smart adaptor is when you are manually adjusting the focus of
the lens, the camera will beep when the lens is in focus.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #42
Major Player

And here's another guy, selling AF Confirmation Chip Adapters for all kinds of camera and lens combinations... this one for Nikon lenses and EOS bodies:

Nikon Lens to Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II III D60 AF adapter - eBay (item 120391367169 end time Mar-23-09 01:10:55 PDT)

$35 and its yours. It comes from China and can take quite a while to get here by the look of things.

Disclaimer: I do not have one of these and have never tried one.

Julian
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I had the exact same experience the first time I used an adapter. It was quite the adrenalin rush when I thought it was stuck there for good. A label or instructions would have been nice.
Ha! I'm so glad to learn I wasn't the only one. That tab combined with the uncertainty of which way to turn it to loosen... Took me a while to get them off. It's still a bit of a pain though, so I'm buying enough so I can leave the adapters on the lenses. Now I have to find more rear caps to fit over the adapters.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Joyce View Post
Now I have to find more rear caps to fit over the adapters.
See my earlier post on where you can get rear lens caps.

Julian
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM   #45
Major Player

Even with the firmware upgrade coming tomorrow, it seems that pre-AF Nikon lenses are still the way to go. Not least for the low cost.

I'm coming late to the 5dmkii, and it looks like Kawa adapters are no longer available on eBay. Anyone know where they can be obtained, or what other adapters work equally well?
Erik Andersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD