Great Adapter News - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Wow, Bruce. I bought 5 of these early this year, and all reside nicely on my various Nikon lenses... sorry you are having that issue.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
The whole point of the 5D2 (exaggerating slightly) is to get tight DOF. You can't do that with zooms. I'm going to be using my 35mm f1.4 and renting some big f1.2 glass for higher focal lengths. You can dial down the DOF of course, but I want to have the tight DOF option in every setup.
Nice, but we really need to remember a few things. If you are shooting 35mm with a cinema camera, your 50mm would be in the short telephoto range. The image area of a 35mm motion picture film camera is much smaller than on aour 5D's. So without doing the math I am thinking that with a normal lens on the 5D set around F4, we are probably simulating the depth of field of a 35mm film cinema camera at F 1.4. I think in most shooting situations that is enough. On the human face with an F 1.2 setting, you will have great difficulty keeping the face and ears in focus with just a little movement. Razor thin depth of field is insanity in most those situations.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #63
Major Player

Just to second that, I've got interviews shot with a nikon 80mm f/2 where it was simply impossible to keep the subject in sharp focus. Focus on the nose and the ears are out of focus and vice versa. I try to focus on the eyes but if they move their head even a few inches it's off - and once you're recording you can't see that on the LCD so there's no way to be sure until playback. I'm shooting interviews at f/5.6 now as even f/4 runs the risk of going out of focus with movement. This is all for MCU work, camera 6-10 feet from the subject - smaller apertures only get manageable once you start increasing that distance significantly or if you have a very still subject. f/1.4, etc, is nice to have as an option, and if you make it work can be absolutely beautiful - but if you are just trying to get nice shallow DOF when shooting people it's certainly not necessary. In fact one of the real reasons to get more expensive fast glass like that is that once it's stepped down into the f/2-4 range it'll generally outperform lenses with maximum apertures in that range.
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #64
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Wow, Bruce. I bought 5 of these early this year, and all reside nicely on my various Nikon lenses... sorry you are having that issue.
I think the ebay vendor must have had a whole bad batch, with two having the same fault in that machined groove for the AI lug. A lens for the Nikon F would have fit just fine but what I had was a 50mm f1.8 AI-S Nikkor in what looks like absolutely MINT condition.

Both shallow DOF tests and night low light tests look great. I'll be looking for a 24mm f2.8 next (to get away from the portrait/tele perspective sometimes) when my finances recover from a CAVISION viewfinder setup, tripod and 501 head, and Spiderbrace purchases. The 50mm performs for me fairly close to what your Series E 100mm does.

The 5D MkII is producing some of the most "life like" video of anything I've seen. That is one fantastic camera in video mode!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I think the ebay vendor must have had a whole bad batch, with two having the same fault in that machined groove for the AI lug. A lens for the Nikon F would have fit just fine but what I had was a 50mm f1.8 AI-S Nikkor in what looks like absolutely MINT condition.

Both shallow DOF tests and night low light tests look great. I'll be looking for a 24mm f2.8 next (to get away from the portrait/tele perspective sometimes) when my finances recover from a CAVISION viewfinder setup, tripod and 501 head, and Spiderbrace purchases. The 50mm performs for me fairly close to what your Series E 100mm does.

The 5D MkII is producing some of the most "life like" video of anything I've seen. That is one fantastic camera in video mode!
In interim, find your self a little zoom lens on ebay. I bought a Takumar pentax mount 28 to 80mm with macro in a combo lens deal on Ebay, a few years back for my homemade 35mm rig, and I ended up getting a mount for that, and it sits on my rig as my daily lens. One thing about the camera, lower end lenses do just fine for video.

In fact with all the emphasis on Canon and Nikon lenses, there are a lot of Pentax K mount lense out there that are perfectly good lens. I had to shave off a flange or two, but lenses will work with adapters available on ebay, too.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
...One thing about the camera, lower end lenses do just fine for video...
But watch out for vignetting at large apertures. Some 3rd party lenses let the apertures open wider than would Canon or Nikon to give a good spec at a low price.

That said, don't sweat getting the best resolution for video. The camera's pixels are nice and large, which takes the load off the lens.
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #67
Major Player

Anyone bough one of this from China?? Nikon to Canon EOS Adapter with Focus AF Confirmation - eBay (item 320266984053 end time Dec-16-09 01:06:16 PST)

Just wondering how it fits and the quality or any problem at all with this adapter. The one from fotodiox are expensive $149.

I'm looking for some of the adapter that everyone here getting the Kawa i think but all the ebay link are out of date. I have been reading that Kawa is the one that everybody are very happy with right.

I wish i can afford L glass but dam expensive. well maybe i'll get the 70-200 f2.8 IS that is other prime i might have to get nikon because of the manual apreture. Awsome. advice please.

Thank you
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD