Great Adapter News - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Major Player

I just placed an order for 2 of these, though the shipping costs are exhorbitant... there's no reason why it should cost $8 per adapter (yes, $16 for two adapters), when these things weigh only a couple of ounces each. When ordered together, the shipping certainly wouldn't cost twice the amount. Oh well, I guess the guy has to make money somehow! I'll see how this adapter compares to my Fotodiox Pro.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Jim,

Sounds like a good find then!

It's great that your adapters have a good fit, I might try one to see how different it is to my others, one adapter per lens makes perfect sense.

I would just check those tiny screws on adapters used with longer lenses from time to time for safety's sake, although I think if your long lens has some kind of extra support like a rails adapter then it's probably not an issue.

Dan
Absolutely Dan,

Every one of my primes, with the exception of the 84mm 1.4 which is a big chunk of glass but still compact, are compact enough to put no strain on the adapter whatsoever (20mm 2.8, 28mm 2.0, 50mm 1.2, 105mm 2.5.

The only really long lens (that looks gorgeous on the 5D2) is the Sigma 100-300mm EX HSM and that is mounted to the big tripod with a lens collar so only the camera's weight there.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:40 AM   #18
Trustee

I'm considering the purchase of a MK2, but have all Nikon glass right now. If I use the adapter when shooting stills, do I lose both autoexposure and autofocus? Is this true for video too?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Auto focus.... you loose auto focus using Nikon, but you can get focus confirmation if you
use a smart adapter...

Auto exposure... you set your aperature to the value you want for DOF.. then let the camera chose the exposure.. but this is not best for video... for video you want to set your
DOF with your choice of aperature, then let the camera set the exposure, then lock that down.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I use the Cameraquest adapter with my Zeiss. They also make adapters for Nikon and Leica.

See: Adapters:* SLR to RF

Not the cheapest ... but I have had good luck with it.
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Auto focus.... you loose auto focus using Nikon, but you can get focus confirmation if you
use a smart adapter...

Auto exposure... you set your aperature to the value you want for DOF.. then let the camera chose the exposure.. but this is not best for video... for video you want to set your
DOF with your choice of aperature, then let the camera set the exposure, then lock that down.
Thanks Ray, so for still, you're basically shooting in Aperture Preffered mode if I understand right.

Are cheap Smart adapters?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Paul, yes thats correct

I don't think you can get a " cheap " smart adapter...
the advantage you get with a smart adapter is when you adjust the lens for focus the camera
will give you the red focus confirm and the beep...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Paul, yes thats correct

I don't think you can get a " cheap " smart adapter...
the advantage you get with a smart adapter is when you adjust the lens for focus the camera
will give you the red focus confirm and the beep...
Sue ya can. Two of my faster lenses have AF confirm and hey cost $30 each. It's only for photography though AF confirm doesn't matter in Live View so don't spend the extra if it's just for HD.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I've got one of these as well. I can also vouch they seem very nice and hold the lens nice and tight.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
I just placed an order for 2 of these, though the shipping costs are exhorbitant... there's no reason why it should cost $8 per adapter (yes, $16 for two adapters), when these things weigh only a couple of ounces each. When ordered together, the shipping certainly wouldn't cost twice the amount. Oh well, I guess the guy has to make money somehow! I'll see how this adapter compares to my Fotodiox Pro.
Just to follow up on my own post...

After ordering these two adapters for $32 (including shipping), KAWA charged me a total of $45, even though my Ebay and PayPal receipts both show the total as $32. I have contacted the seller and hopefully he will refund the extra $15 he "erroneously" took out of my account.

Julian
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
What exact specs do I need on Nikon lenses in order to work with the Mark II?? Sorry if this is a dumb question or has ben answered, but I want to find a nikon lens on ebay fairly inexpensive to start and see how the manual aperture works. thanks for any help.

Bruce
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Nikon lens just for video use if they already have Canon lenses. All you have to do is unlock the mount and twist the lens while holding DOF preview down. This may be a kludge but it is free and it works.

So far I have found my mounts to be tight enough that there is no chance of it turning further and falling out. I only shoot video on tripods though and I'll admit it could be dangerous if you swing it around while hand-holding it.

I have heard you can use tape, but I don't like the idea of getting gummy junk in my camera. I've been thinking that a thin piece of hard plastic might work. You could punch holes for the two ground pins to hold it in place.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #27
Major Player

Your own message has pretty much answered your own question! Lenses can fall off if "un-hooked" and it's a kludge to adjust the aperture, press the DOF button, and then twist the lens out of its mount. Taping the contacts can result in the tape ending up inside the camera, or gunking up a good lens and/or the camera, permanently damaging it/them. Nikon glass is pretty good, and until we get manual control on the 5D mk II, it's definitely the way to go.

Julian
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
Your own message has pretty much answered your own question! Lenses can fall off if "un-hooked" and it's a kludge to adjust the aperture, press the DOF button, and then twist the lens out of its mount. Taping the contacts can result in the tape ending up inside the camera, or gunking up a good lens and/or the camera, permanently damaging it/them. Nikon glass is pretty good, and until we get manual control on the 5D mk II, it's definitely the way to go.

Julian
Nikon glass is better than pretty good - t's equal to any Canon glass and we've proven it equal to cine primes shooting SD and HD resolutions. I did think that the previous poster answered his own question very well too.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
Nikon glass is better than pretty good - t's equal to any Canon glass and we've proven it equal to cine primes shooting SD and HD resolutions. I did think that the previous poster answered his own question very well too.
Except you missed my main point. I want to use my collection of L lenses. If I was rich I'd get two sets of lenses. Using a "kludge" is a secondary problem for me. If I have to duct tape the lens I will.

I also am looking for better kludges. I think thin Mylar plastic might work.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
Except you missed my main point. I want to use my collection of L lenses. If I was rich I'd get two sets of lenses. Using a "kludge" is a secondary problem for me. If I have to duct tape the lens I will.

I also am looking for better kludges. I think thin Mylar plastic might work.
so I'm curious how mylar is going to help you set the aperture?

I have a decent collection of L lenses already but I just ordered my first Nikkor (and an adapter) today. I'm not rich but often when I'm shooting I literally can't afford to waste time screwing around with kludges. So I'm starting with a 50mm 1.4 but I'm already thinking of what to get next. It's a slippery slope, Canon! I've purchased 4 canon bodies so far (a pair of 10Ds, a 1d Mk II and the 5d Mk II) - let's hope the 5d MK II isn't my last!
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD