5D2 + Steadicam Merlin (and other options) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

5D2 + Steadicam Merlin (and other options)

Anyone out there have experience with the Steadicam Merlin+Arm/Vest combo?
The only person I've spoken to who's tried one (without the arm/vest) said that they couldn't get the drop rate from 90-0 degrees as slow as they show in the instructional video.

There's also IDC/Bruce Dorn's U-Boat Commander.

And Dynamic Motion Video tells me that they are developing an adapter for the CB105 or possibly an entirely new support system.

Any thoughts?
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chang View Post
The only person I've spoken to who's tried one (without the arm/vest) said that they couldn't get the drop rate from 90-0 degrees as slow as they show in the instructional video.

And Dynamic Motion Video tells me that they are developing an adapter for the CB105 or possibly an entirely new support system.

Any thoughts?
I have a steadicam merlin, but no vest. getting the thing "optimized" with the 24-70/2.8L lens I was shooting with was a little tricky. I was shooting at 24mm so it was quite noseheavy with the lens barrel extended fully, but I did finally get it settled. I only tried shooting with it a couple times - one day it was pretty breezy and it blew the camera all over the place. The other time I tried it, I got decent results. I too was unable to get the 90-0 drop times anywhere close to "ideal" (I can't seem to locate my DVD lately, but I do remember a rather slow drop time).
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chang View Post

Any thoughts?
I've own a 5DMKII and a Merlin. No problem with the droptime here. I've tryed it with a Zeiss Flektogon 20mm lens

The Eos flyes very nicely.
Could be there are some problems with zooms because of the moving lens elements...
Ralph Schoberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
I have a steadicam merlin, but no vest. getting the thing "optimized" with the 24-70/2.8L lens I was shooting with was a little tricky. I was shooting at 24mm so it was quite noseheavy with the lens barrel extended fully, but I did finally get it settled. I only tried shooting with it a couple times - one day it was pretty breezy and it blew the camera all over the place. The other time I tried it, I got decent results. I too was unable to get the 90-0 drop times anywhere close to "ideal" (I can't seem to locate my DVD lately, but I do remember a rather slow drop time).
Keith,

Can you share your setting with me? I've had a lot of trouble getting this lens/camera balanced. Which hole did you use for the plate mount? How much weight is on the bottom arm? How about the joint?

thanks,

Grant
Grant Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I assume that flying a 5D2 with a merlin would require 1) a fixed lens (since the movement of a zoom would really throw the balance off) and 2) a small aperture (since there is no autofocus)? I have a Merlin and am just waiting for the 5D2 to ship this week. I would be interest to hear what fixed lens would work well with the 5D2 and the Merlin... Thanks.
David Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've tried the 5D2 on the Merlin with the Canon 28mm 1.8, works well.
I think the 24mm would work as well if not better, since it's wider.

I'll post footage with the 28mm later this week.

-Bill
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Hamilton View Post
Keith,

Can you share your setting with me? I've had a lot of trouble getting this lens/camera balanced. Which hole did you use for the plate mount? How much weight is on the bottom arm? How about the joint?

thanks,

Grant
I used the "M" hole on the plate. To balance it with the lens at 24mm, I have to put the plate on the stage at around -3. I needed something probably two holes behind the M hole to get closer to the center of balance.

As for the weights, i have a finishing weight plus a middle weight on the nose (at the joint) of the merlin, then two finishing weights and three of the middle weights on the bottom. The arc distance is about 12 1/8". To figure all this out I used a spreadsheet calculator that i found on the merlin site.

With the 24-70 on it the rig is fairly heavy - a vest would probably make it much easier to handle for longer shoots.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #8
New Boot

Hey Guys,

Just curious???

Are you able to use an external monitor?? Is there a video out on the mkII??

Are you able to use external focus control (rock)??

If you are able to use external controls will they also permit you to capture stills as well??

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Tucker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD