5D MKII doesn't flicker in 50Hz Europe! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Major Player

5D MKII doesn't flicker in 50Hz Europe!

I've tried it every way and can not get any lights to flicker.
I mean CFL lamps big kino-flo like fluorescents and many types of streetlights.
I scanned windows in apartment buildings to get at least some flicker but I was not able to get any. If I locked exp at 500 my LCD sure flickered but that's the refresh rate of it 60Hz I assume.

Auto lightning optimizer was @ "Strong" and I'm using manual/twisted lens with shutter locked to 40 or 50. Movie Display activated. 50mm f1.8 lens.

With EF compatible lenses the shutter plays really weird tricks and I'm sorry to report that EF lenses other than 50mm are not really usable when electronically connected to the 5D body as wide angles default somewhere to 1/20th shutter and longer lens default to 1/80th etc. You can not zoom with electrically connected EF lenses too as the change in focal length will affect even the locked shutter speed.

I have found that all manual/twisted lenses will default the shutter to 1/40th (somehow it doesn't flicker) and/or to 1/50th when pointed to brighter spots of the scene. So locking aperture with any focal length "dumb" lens is easy and will give constant results, even with ISO that can be turned down with AE compensation dial. Be sure to hold shutter button halfway down when locking the aperture at 40 or 50 this will allow you to dial down iso without affecting the shutter speed. This method allows me to shoot most domestic scenarios @ ISO 1000 to 1600 with practical lightning only. Even outside at city night I can use ISO 1000 with f1.8 lenses and I tend to believe that the night scenes at the Thames from the "Muse" were or can be shot with sub 1600 ISO.

Drop in some warm 75W CFL 3200K bulbs instead of regular/practical ones and off you go without any grips etc and @ ISO500, sure the image will look like in real life and that might not be desirable.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
With EF compatible lenses the shutter plays really weird tricks and I'm sorry to report that EF lenses other than 50mm are not really usable when electronically connected to the 5D body as wide angles default somewhere to 1/20th shutter and longer lens default to 1/80th etc. You can not zoom with electrically connected EF lenses too as the change in focal length will affect even the locked shutter speed.
I thought the focal length wouldn't change at all since to hold shutter button halfway down it gives you the information in photo mode, not video. Isn't that so?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD