Frame "Shifting" or "Stutter" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #16
Major Player

I'll have to check my old footage... my current footage, shot with the latest firmware does stutter, but I put it down to Windows not being able to play it back efficiently - even though my QuadCore shows only about 30% CPU utilization when playing back the 5D mk II files in QuickTime. I hope it's not a firmware issue as who knows how long it'll take Canon to fix it! I'll update this thread after I've tested the footage captured with the earlier firmware.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Julian....I've noticed the stutter during the actual recording on the rear lcd of my 5d.Either way I think it's better that the crushed blacks are fixed.It's much easier to fix the stutter then to bring back shadow detail that doesn't exist.My fingers are crossed that someone will find a fix quickly.

Ryan
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Major Player

Ah, ok, Ryan. I do not see stuttering on the camera's LCD during recording, or during playback. I did see it in the original firmware when using Canon lenses which were untwisted (specifically the 17-40mm L). It occurred when the lens was twisted loose by just a millimeter or so, as someone else pointed out above. When it was untwisted more, the stuttering went away.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

oh good I'll try untwisting it more then.Thanks for the tip Julian!....I didn't notice any stuttering this weekend at a wedding I shot so maybe that's the ticket.I'll let you know what happens when I get a chance to toy around a bit more.

Ryan
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Morey View Post
oh good I'll try untwisting it more then.Thanks for the tip Julian!....I didn't notice any stuttering this weekend at a wedding I shot so maybe that's the ticket.I'll let you know what happens when I get a chance to toy around a bit more.
--- Ryan
You guys really should be using Mylar to block the electrical contacts instead of twisting the lens. It is very easy and much much safer.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1003370-post1.html
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #21
Inner Circle

If you are unlocking lenses at all during camera operation, you may be asking for catastrophic failure eventually. The circuits may be designed to deal with a transient bad state whilst a lens is being swapped but a continuous bad state may be another matter.

The stutter and frame shift may occur because the central processor may be overworked trying to salvage the best image it can whilst trying to over-ride a problem it sees.

My personal preference would be to mask the conducting pins over with thin tape if you want to isolate the lens and use various strength or stacked ND filters to control exposure or force slower shutter speed.

Deep ND may in turn cause an unwanted colour cast due to IR contamination if the ND filters are not of good quality. Stacked NDs will cause other problems.

FOOTNOTE: Mark. You just beat me to the post with your reply.

Last edited by Bob Hart; February 18th, 2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added footnote
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
My personal preference would be to mask the conducting pins over with thin tape if you want to isolate the lens and use various strength or stacked ND filters to control exposure or force slower shutter speed.
Unless I misunderstand you, that is what I'm suggesting, except you don't have to line the tape up with the pins and there is no chance of the tape slipping off of a contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Deep ND may in turn cause an unwanted colour cast due to IR contamination if the ND filters are not of good quality. Stacked NDs will cause other problems.
Yes, and the better the filters the less chance of problems. You can fix color in post but it is a PITA.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD