Frame "Shifting" or "Stutter" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Frame "Shifting" or "Stutter"

5D image shifting on Vimeo

Here's the vimeo link. I don't think it's too useful because the internet is giving an inherent stutter.

I've done some other tests and I get the frame shifting, skipping, stutter when the lens is hooked or unhooked. It's shifting just with image lock-on, tripod or handheld. Tried Nikon lenses and it's happening there too. I thought it might be the CF write speed but I'm using quality Lexar 300x 16gig UDMA.

Taking it to Canon Canada tomorrow. If I can't get it fixed, I'm going back to the HVX200/35 mm adaptor. Damn, I was really enjoying the size and low-light capabilities of the 5D. All the work-arounds were becoming bearable too.

t
Tony Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Major Player

I would have to see the original file to make anything of this. Vimeo (and the other video services) do a crappy job of displaying video.

I don't see stuttering natively in my 5D2 and I don't see many reports that aren't just playback problems. If you see this when playing back on the camera itself then you definitely have an unusual problem.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mark is right. The 5D MkII doesn't seem to have any general stutter problem. Of course, a random defect could cause most any one-off problem.

The best way to check the results is to look at motion frame by frame on an original video. Once something has been re-encoded by the editor and/or the host site, all bets are off.

The 5D MkII shoots at 30p. Vimeo plays back at 24p. They do this by dropping every fifth frame. That certainly causes stuttering, as does a slow or overloaded computer.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:09 AM   #4
New Boot

The stutter is occurring during live recording through the camera's viewfinder and it's going to the card. QT 7.6 playback is replicating the same stutter/skip as seen on the viewfinder.

Is there a way that I can show you the original footage? The smallest clip I have is 180megs.

I'm going to Canon Canada HQ today to hopefully get some answers or a fix. I'm shooting a short film this weekend so I'll have make a decision quick if I need to go back to my HVX200/35mm set-up.

t
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Major Player

is your CF card fast enough?
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Make sure you're shooting on a newly formatted (in camera) CF card too.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi I have noticed this myself when I disconnect the lens. But I found it to be the fact that the lens is not disconnected enough. By turning a few more mm the stuttering goes but sometimes I have to power off the camera to get it running correctly.

Its as if the pins of the body are connecting to the wrong points on the lens and it throws some internal error in the picture.

You will also see the display stutters not just the recording.

Just goes to show why its not a great idea to disconnect the lens like this. But we have no choice with canon lens.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz View Post
is your CF card fast enough?
I'm using a Lexar 300x 16 gig UDMA. I've formatted in the camera.

I tested to see if this stutter only happens when the card is near full (less buffer capacity?) but it also happens when the card is freshly formatted.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
Hi I have noticed this myself when I disconnect the lens. But I found it to be the fact that the lens is not disconnected enough. By turning a few more mm the stuttering goes but sometimes I have to power off the camera to get it running correctly.

Its as if the pins of the body are connecting to the wrong points on the lens and it throws some internal error in the picture.

You will also see the display stutters not just the recording.

Just goes to show why its not a great idea to disconnect the lens like this. But we have no choice with canon lens.
On my camera, which may be defective:

There is a very dramatic stutter if the lens is only partially disconnected when I'm at 500 ISO or below. A partial disconnection above 500 ISO, the dramatic stutter disappears but you get the original subtle stutter. Disconnecting the lens another turn, maybe 30% before it falls out, eliminates the dramatic stutter below 500 ISO but the original subtle stutter remains on all ISOs.

Taped contacts on a Canon lens and Nikon lens produce the stutter. Shooting on an locked Canon lens with just the Exposure Lock on produces the stutter.

This stutter/skip is obvious at times, usually with a pan or tilt and sometimes very subtle when filming an object moving (slow or fast) in frame. Subtle but enough to make the shot unusable.

t
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I wonder if your memory card might be defective. For instance, if one of the address lines were stuck.

I'm not saying it is. It's just another possibility.
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #11
New Boot

Tried using SanDisk Extreme 3 cards and still getting the same stutter.
t
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wu View Post
t
Sorry to hear that it's not just a bad card. It's good to eliminate that variable though...
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wu View Post
t
All reports are that slow cards cause the buffer indicator to show and warn of impending fullness. Then when it does fill up it stops recording totally. CF card performance should never cause the stuttering discussed here.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #14
New Boot

my 5D got the same stuttering problems too . seem like it maybe the firmware problem .
Minh Khang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi,

Mine started the stutter after i updated the firmware....go figure.I guess I'll just need to make a few takes just in case.Hopefully it's fixed with the next firmware update.

Ryan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD