DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   RODE Video Mic and Distortion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/143182-rode-video-mic-distortion.html)

William Chung February 5th, 2009 11:13 PM

RODE Video Mic and Distortion

Hey All

I Just got my rode video mic the other day and came into a problem today. Recorded my friend's performance and was getting some distortion / noise in the recording. The sound should not have been anywhere near loud enough to cause it to clip so im not sure if I just did something wrong?

Anyone have similar experience? and yes i'm a video noob :(

Allan Black February 6th, 2009 12:35 AM

The newer version of the RODE Videomic has 3 internal dip switch settings to set the input level, zero -10db and -20db. This lowers the mic input level, consult your manual.

Open the battery compartment and set them to -10db. That's the mid range set and forget setting. But for very loud rock work you may need -20db to avoid distortion.

Don't forget to register for your 10 year warranty on line at RODE.

Cheers.

Wacharapong Chiowanich February 6th, 2009 03:40 AM

The real culprit is probably the auto audio gain of the camera, which cannot be overridden. Were the performance's sound levels relatively stable or significantly varied during the recording? If it's the former, you can try adjusting different input levels on the mic. If it's the latter, well, it would be hard to avoid clippings and distortions unless the input is reduced to a safe level at which point the signal could be too weak.

You should try recording sound externally if you could. On board audio is one of the downsides of using the 5D Mk2.

Best
Wacharapong

William Chung February 6th, 2009 07:29 AM

Here is the link to the outputted audio.. Is there anyway to fix it?

http://www.followmystory.com/misc/MVI_9395.mp3

Martin Mayer February 6th, 2009 07:34 AM

William, you gotta get your mike much closer to the source! (next time!)

Unfortunately, you can't just extend the Rode cable, as it's not balanced, but too much distance is your first problem there, by the sound of it.

William Chung February 6th, 2009 08:51 AM

:) Thanks Martin.

The main point of recording the audio this time though was to test the Rode mic out. We are using pieces of this clip for a video that will have audio over it. So essentially we'll be throwing out the video.

So would the -10db totally fix this? And if I do hear something like this in the future what would be the best way to fix it post.

Wacharapong Chiowanich February 6th, 2009 10:48 AM

As Martin said, it sounded like you had been too far from the source. Your mic has to get close to the singer and point straight at him from the distance of 2-3 feet at the maximum, or closer if the place is noisy. In any case I don't think you can mount the mic on your camera as you also have to compose your shots. Rode seems to sell a 10-foot (or thereabouts) unbalanced cable as an option to be used with its VideoMic and Stereo VideoMic. Mount the mic close to the singer on a stand and wire it to the camera. This will give you some workable distance and should improve the sound. Can't say what dB level as this will depend on the distance between the mic and the singer and how loud he will actually sings. Again a very hard thing to do without monitoring the input. The camera doesn't have a headphone jack so you will have to test before you do the actual shoot.

Wacharapong

Bruce Foreman February 8th, 2009 02:22 PM

For what it's worth, I seem to be able to get away with using a 16 foot stereo extension cable from Radio Shack with my Rode StereoVideoMic. I've had this mic for 2 years now and have used it with 3 different camcorders.

Typically I either have it on a stand close to the talent but just out of the frame, or suspended from a boom on a stand with the mic positioned about 2-4 feet above and forward of the talent. I do monitor with headphones and listen very carefully for any hum or interference.

So far I've encountered none.

Just got the Rode VideoMic but have not had a chance to test it with the extension cord.